Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nitro-propane, or whatever it happens to be called. I want to know exactly what it is and what it does. Anybody with any knowledge on the subject.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Well polyethylen terephthalate (PET) is a themoplastic. (it melts when heated to a high temperature about 500 F instead of charring like thermosets) It is used mostly for films and pop bottles. It is used mostly for non structual applications, but there are engineering grades. The make up of it is 9 Hydrogen, 4 Oxygon, 10 Carbon. I would display the way it goes together, but I lost my copy of Autocad. Also, PET is cystalline.

What exactly do you want to know? Is this the one you want or did you want a different polymer? I can help there too. Oxides are only on metals, such as iron oxide (rust) etc... I will help you any way I can.

Ben

·
Registered
777 Posts
On 2002-02-27 23:28, mud532 wrote:
nitro-propane, or whatever it happens to be called. I want to know exactly what it is and what it does. Anybody with any knowledge on the subject.
It's an oxygen carrying fuel, such as regular nitro (but supposedly not as dangerous). I dont know alot about it, but I do know that if it is run lean at all, it will cook your pistons. Hot Rod did an article on it several years ago and had a melt down on the dyno when they didn richen it up enuff. I think they ended up around 8-10 jet sizes bigger to compensate for it. Plus I remember they said you had ot drain it all out cuss it would eat up any rubber line. If I remember correctly, I think they picked up around 50 HP with it though. It was a long time ago, so my "facts" have a good probability of not being correct.

Had a guy at the local roundy round track get DQ'ed for using it. Made his fuel a funny color of gren and also made it smell real bad when it burned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The compound I'm interested in is the one that mixes with gas: similar to that of nitro-methane and methanol. I've heard lots of stories about it helping torque tremendously. I would like to experiment with it but do not know where to start. Who makes and sells the stuff. I think the compound I want is an oxygenator(hope thats a word). Any sites out there on the web with info?
Thanks for the replies Ben & kid vishus.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Propyline Oxide is an oxidizer kind of in relation to nitrous oxide, only a LOT more dangerous. I is also close to impossible to keep an engine tuned using it & is outlawed by all sanctioning bodies, therefor most tracks as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts