Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some guidance on the proper pulley set for the 302 in my '68 Falcon. Right now, the car slowly overheats and will not recover. I was reading up on pulley diameters and how it relates to the proper operation of the accessories but am still a bit confused on which pulley should be what size. I currently have a 6" water pump pulley, a 6" crank pulley and a 3" alternator pulley. This was what was on the car when I bought it back from the guy I sold it to. I'm not convinced that the W/P pulley and crank pulley should be the same diameter but I'm not sure if the W/P pulley should be smaller or larger than the crank pulley. Any guidance you all could give would be appreciated. It's frustrating that I can't even drive the car for any length of time. I also set the timing at 10* initial but my balancer only goes to 30*. I'm certain it's close enough at the moment to at least drive it so i think the overheating problem lies in the pulleys.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello

Have you determined if the thermostat is working?
or even there?

How's the flow threw the radiator?

Do you have a fan shroud?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some guidance on the proper pulley set for the 302 in my '68 Falcon. Right now, the car slowly overheats and will not recover. I was reading up on pulley diameters and how it relates to the proper operation of the accessories but am still a bit confused on which pulley should be what size. I currently have a 6" water pump pulley, a 6" crank pulley and a 3" alternator pulley. This was what was on the car when I bought it back from the guy I sold it to. I'm not convinced that the W/P pulley and crank pulley should be the same diameter but I'm not sure if the W/P pulley should be smaller or larger than the crank pulley. Any guidance you all could give would be appreciated. It's frustrating that I can't even drive the car for any length of time. I also set the timing at 10* initial but my balancer only goes to 30*. I'm certain it's close enough at the moment to at least drive it so i think the overheating problem lies in the pulleys.

Thanks
John
I don't think there should be any problem with the two 6 inch! it sounds like you have something else wrong! How good is your rad? that kind of water pump is it causing cavitation?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello

Have you determined if the thermostat is working?
or even there?

How's the flow threw the radiator?

Do you have a fan shroud?
Hi and thanks for the response.

I do have a fan shroud, 15" flex fan, thermostat is new and 180*, radiator flow is good, water pump is new.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think there should be any problem with the two 6 inch! it sounds like you have something else wrong! How good is your rad? that kind of water pump is it causing cavitation?
Thanks for the response.

Radiator is good (as far as I can tell) and the water pump is a stock replacement from Autozone. It's a cast iron pump, not aluminum.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello

This should be a standard rotation water pump.
is the fan the correct direction? is it about an inch from the radiator?

IF it is recheck the thermostat. could be broken or stuck open.

A smaller lower pulley will drive the pump faster. not always a good thing.
a larger upper pulley will drive pump slower.

tbirdtess

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello

This should be a standard rotation water pump.
is the fan the correct direction? is it about an inch from the radiator?

IF it is recheck the thermostat. could be broken or stuck open.

A smaller lower pulley will drive the pump faster. not always a good thing.
a larger upper pulley will drive pump slower.

tbirdtess
Hi and thanks for the response.

Thermostat is new as is the water pump. I checked the 'stat to make sure it opened at 180*. I spoke to an aftermarket pulley manufacturer the other day and they said that the pump pulley and the crank pulley wouldn't pose a problem if they are the same diameter and in fact they said this would be optimal for cooling purposes.

Fan is 15" diameter flex and is a about an inch away from the radiator give or take a 1/4.

I am currently in the process of flushing the entire system and starting over. I read a few posts from other forums saying that using vinegar to clear out the system was safe and effective. I'm going to try it and see what happens. Has anyone else tried this and if so what were your results?

·
Registered
311 Posts
. The pump for the newer 5.0 run counter clock wise.The newer pump will fit your motor ,but will not work right.Ma kesure you have the right pump on the motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts