Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m pulling the 221 V8 and 2 speed auto out of my ‘62 Meteor. 1st Time I’ve done this on a Mercury. Is it easier to pull the engine and transmission as one unit, or separate?
Thanks!

·
Registered
388 Posts
It really depends on what tools you have at your disposal. To separate and remove the from under the car requires jacking the car way up to clear the floor pan (about 2 ft). It's also difficult to remove the bolts on the bell housing. That said, it's not easy to bring the engine and trans out together because of the radiator core support.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
Getting at the bell housing bolts wasn’t that bad, I’m just going to pull the engine, then I can always drop the transmission out of the bottom later.
Plus I won’t leave a trail of transmission fluid on the floor from standing it almost upright coming out the top

·
Subscriber
511 Posts
I think I'd pull them separately...but install them together. Adrian's right, its whatever is easier for you.
Make sure to put something under the front edge of the trans so that it doesn't drop forward when you disconnect the motor. Transmission jacks are very handy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts