Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to this site very informative reading! Have a question about a reoccuring leak. This leak started about 2 months ago, and has once again returned. It's a built C4 with reverse v. body/ trans. brake, 4000 stall 9.5" convertor and upgraded internals. When the leak started, I discovered that the pump gasket was broke at the bottom when I disassembled it. Replaced it, and everything was fine for 2 months. I put quite a few street miles, and numerous low 11 sec. passes on this after the first repair. One day last week on the way to work, I noticed a puddle under the trans., sure enough it was leaking in the same place. I haven't got it apart yet, but i'm pretty sure it's leaking from the pump gasket. Is there any good reason why this would happen again? Anything I should check that would cause this? Getting frustrated, any help would be appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well ya sure is pump gasket? maybe converter seal?
Or maybe the dipstick tube?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure. I cleaned the area real good, then started it in the air on a lift. It was coming out from the same area (between the bell and the trans. case.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
It could be a pump gasket nad making sure the sealing surfaces are are clean and roughed a little with a sanding block will help it seal. You can also put on some gasket maker by Loc Tite if you feel the need.
I would bet that the seal and bushing in the pump need to be replaced. There are two types of bushings - a babbit bushing and a bronze bushing. I prefer the bronze bushings and when I install the seal I lubricate it with Vasoline. Be sure to lube the seal and bushing with something (not grease) when installing new ones because if they run dry for even a minute they will burn the lip and begin leaking soon after.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I got it apart yesterday. Gasket was broke at the same spot as last time. Before removing the pump, I checked the bolts to see if they could be torqued, and the two on either side of the center bottom bolt couldn't be torqued to 25 ft lbs. After removing, I noticed these were the only ones that hadn't been helicoiled(?) So i'm thinking that if the pump isn't being clamped evenly against the case, this could be why it's blowing the gasket out (it breaks near one of these bolts) Sound logical?

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
I'd say you're on it. Also make sure the metal around the holes are flat and hasn't pulled up stopping the pump from going right in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the trans. back together, seems to be o.k. Drove it around today, and hit it hard a few times, no leaks. I'll feel more confident when I get a few more miles on it. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks to all that replied!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts