Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, The swap meet is next month and I want to get a better later 8" pumpkin for the 66 which has the really weak pumpkin in it. I know any 3rd member after 67 is stronger because of the attentional support added to it.
I've got 3:00 in it now and was thinking about a 3:25 or 3:40 in a later unit so it can handle a little more hp & tq from the later engine build. I also plan on buying some stronger axles for peace of mind.

I plan on keeping the C4 in her now and only plan on 280-300 hp at the engine. This is only a cruiser so no racing.

Would it be OK to swap that out now or wait for the engine build and do both at once?

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
For 300 hp, any 8" gear case will be fine in good condition. The later version is a bit stronger, but you don't need more than what you have already. Likewise, the axles are fine (same as the 9" versions), and any properly set-up 8" and stock axles will handle up to 400 hp or so. I would save my cash and just get whatever good deal you can for the gear setup you want in whatever case it comes in. Plug it in with your original axles and have fun. [EDIT] Or, build you own in your (or another) case with the gears and carrier you want. ;)
:tup:
David

PS - are you talking the Puyallup show? I may go this year. I usually wait for the Portland show in early April for my mad buying sprees. Almost grabbed an 8" with 3.80s and traction lock for $150 last year, but no way to carry it around and he was leaving. :( Portland is the largest swap on the west coast, has incredible deals, and is very dangerous for me... LOL Are you going there this year?

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya PSIG, this swap meet is in KS and that's way to far for me to hold that thing....:)

I had a friend that destroyed his non-ripped 8" pumpkin doing a simple burn out so I'll feel better knowing I've got a stronger unit under me.

I've seen some on ebay going for $800 or so but thought that might be kinda high and I don't know awhole lot about the posi unit or which one is better for the street or not.

I'll keep the axles then and that'll save me some bucks, I thought about a 3:25 gear but figured I wouldn't feel much difference being I already have the 3:00 now and the 3:40 would be a great compromise.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Ah, for some reason I thought you were out at this end of the planet. Anyway, if you find a late gear case (usually $20-40 around here with or without guts) then you may consider doing your own all fresh and new. Figure (assuming no trashed carrier parts):
Full kit (bearings, seals, shims, etc.) - $120
3.40 or 3.55 gear set - $200
New side gear thrust washers (open diff) - $20
-------------------------------------------
Total - $340

Add a new Traction-Lok limited slip carrier if you like @ $320 (-$20 thrust washers) is a $640 project. You can find better deals when shopping around. While there are used Trac-Loks, they are overpriced and still another $100 or so to re-do, so I'd go new unless you find one in a Granada for chicken feed. You can do a locking insert (functions like a Detroit Locker) for not too much more, but if primarily a daily driver, I'd stick with the TL. My 2¢.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts