Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose this story actually begins in 2005 after a flywheel explosion in Oregon on my 69 Mach 1. After the incident the car was towed to central Wyoming where it sat in a barn for a few years as I gathered parts.

I moved 2000 miles away to Virginia, so I would fly back every year or so for the last 10 years and work on the car for a week or two at a time.

It has an 11:1 351 Cleveland with closed chamber 4bbl heads set up with screw in studs. Holley Strip Dominator with a Holley HP950
285/295 .606/.606 108ls solid cam with Crane Gold rockers.
Hooker Super Comps into 3" Race Bullets followed by some Dynomax Ultra Flo mufflers with 2.5" mandrel bent tailpipes over the axle.

4-speed wide ratio toploader that has been converted to a big input shaft and big output shaft.
Centerforce clutch
The Z-bar has been replaced with a hydraulic setup.

With the car back in running condition, it was time to stretch her legs and let her do what she does best....drive!

I swapped in some 3.00 gears for the trip. The drive started at 5,020 feet in Glenrock WY, so I had the car running rich knowing that it will be getting more air as we came down in elevation.

The odometer read 70685.4 when I fired the Cleveland on day 1

I've got a full tank of gas and fresh Royal Purple in the toploader. All the gauges and lights are working. Got the pleasure of starting out in heavy rain, but the car has new weatherstrip and the wipers work, so it handled it fine. New BFG 235/60/15's on 15x8 magnum 500's. The factory AM radio is Aurora converted.

First stop, Lusk WY....this is roughly an 80 mile drive. My brother lives here and offered to come along for the drive and share the wheel. He had been driving the car a bit a few weeks prior, so he was already familiar with it. He was already confident the car would handle the trip without any problems

We cruised to Torrington WY and stopped for fuel. I put in 10 gallons, checked the fluids, looked the car over....nothing wrong. Everything felt good with the car. It handles good for an old car. It has new KYB shocks on all 4 corners, new upper and lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods. The seats are comfortable, although I don't think I'd want to ride in the back seat. Maybe a kid could do it?

Back on the road we continued east. We ran through a little rain, as we headed east, but it was obvious the car was running better. Torrington is about 4100ft and as we headed east it only dropped in elevation more. We fueled in Big Springs Nebraska. I put in 11.25 gallons

I took over the passenger seat as we headed back out on I-80. It rides comfortably at freeway speed. The 3.00 gears are really making the highway driving a breeze. The car has plenty of passing power. It has 34 degrees total in it and the MSD dristributor has the heaviest springs in it. We stopped for fuel in Kearney NE where I put in 9.5 gallons

I took the driver side for the next tank. Kearney is about 2150ft. The car felt like it was running much better to me than it was the last time I drove it. I stopped in Gretna NE and pumped in 12 gallons. We continued east and stopped in West Des Moines Iowa for the night.

On Day 2 I checked the fluids at the hotel. I went ahead and pulled a plug as well. I brought a bunch of jets and parts just in case of course. The car has a new fuel tank and 3/8" line feeding a Robb MC mechanical fuel pump. It also has a Robb MC starter. We fired the car and drove to the other side of the city to Altoona IA and stopped for fuel. I put in 11 gallons

We continued east along I-80 and got on I-74 at Davenport. The car runs about 175 degrees on the open road and has heated up to 185 driving stoplight to stoplight. It has a new Cold Case 24" radiator without a shroud. We stopped for fuel in Woodhull Illinois where I pumped in 12.5 gallons.

It is pretty loud inside the car compared to riding in a new car, but it is possible to actually talk and listen the radio. I didn't ever really turn the radio up loud, but it could be turned up loud enough to tune out the old Cleveland, but after listening to that old Cleveland sing I'm not sure why you would want to. We fueled again in Oakwood IL, where I put in 11 gallons

We got on I-70 at Indianapolis and cruised on through Indiana on into Ohio. We stopped for fuel at Brookville, where I pumped in 13 gallons. Car has been working well.

We ended up stopping in Columbus Ohio for the night. It seems like the more we drive the car, the better it runs.

With only about 400 miles to go and the way the car had been working so far, we knew it was going to make it. We cruised to Wheeling WV where I pumped in 11.75 gallons. We continued on east until we hit I-81. We stopped again in Winchester VA, where I pumped in 15 gallons.

The final leg of the journey took us on I-66 to Manassas Virginia where I pumped in 5 gallons and finished up the trip with 72685.8 miles on the odometer. Ended up using 122 gallons to go 2000.4 miles. Couldn't have asked for the car to perform any better.

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Very nice car , and awesome road trip, glad it all went so well. Thanks for sharing was great to read .

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see this place doesn't get much traffic these days.

Very nice.
Curious of the paint color on that car?

I'm curious what color it is too. Here's what I know....

The original color according to the Marti report was Silver Jade. I don't know if it is original to the car or not, but the underside of the deck lid is Silver Jade.

When the flywheel came apart there was some damage to the driver side front fender. After repairing that damage, the fender was repainted with a custom mix in an attempt to match the rest of the car. I would say the current color is probably somebody's attempt to get something similar to Gulfstream Aqua. The repainted fender doesn't really match particularly well if you look closely.

We made a small correction to that formula and sprayed that on the hood. It matches the car a little better than the fender. The blackout on the hood is SEM Hot Rod Black

Ever since I've owned the car there has been some rust issues present in the deck lid. I'm assuming that is why the Mach 1 decal was never installed. I had intended on replacing the deck lid a while back, but the replacement I ordered arrived damaged. I had ordered it several years ago and it was never inspected when it arrived. When I dug it out of the box to paint it, I found the damage to be more significant than I had time to mess with, so I still need to replace the deck lid. I had a local shop mix up some of the same stuff that I used on the hood, which I'll use to paint the deck lid when I buy another one.

There aren't any perfect body panels on my car, so I'm not particularly concerned that things don't match perfectly. Eventually I'll have to repaint the whole car. The current paint is showing its age.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
180 Posts
I Thought it was Gulfstream Aqua Met.
The same color I picked for my car. I also plan on satin black for hood.
The local paint shop looked it up, it came up as a mopar color.
We mixed it by codes, after seeing it, we added a little more green and extra heavy Met. flake. I sprayed a test panel and took it in sun.
My car is a Beautiful Blue inside shop, a bright Teal-ish in daylight, but Gulfstream aqua in certain light.
I also looked at the Ford calypso color, I just wanted that deeper aqua.
All ended up well, I love the color, my car just looks a lot different than what i saw called Gulfstream aqua.

·
Administrator
21,726 Posts
Believe it or not, my house is bout the color of your stang and no matter what I do I can not get a picture of the color as I see it. Also it changes with the lighting, sometimes it has more blue to it, sometimes darker, sometimes lighter. It's just an odd color. It was called Maxi Teal. Then I saw a color at the paint store called Kevin's Stang which is kinda the same. When I had to find a house color I was looking for something like my sister's '97 F150 when then sun hit the fender a certain way and the door panel on a blue '64 galaxie. My sister's truck is a darkish green except when catching the the glare or reflection at the top of a fender or something. Love the color of your car and what an awesome trip! Before my days or over I'd love to take a road trip east and back! Furthest I've driven is from Palmdale CA to Tacoma WA with a few days in Monroe OR where all my family are. It did better than our spark plug blowing '01 Supercrew! It blew a plug and my beat up ol car beat it on gas mileage then cause the plug bounced back in and got stuck sideways kinda and tempers high, we just drove it the last 300 miles sounding like a tractor. lol Not going to bore ya with the full story but I had to quit laughing and be serious before I got out of my car when he pulled over right after getting back on the freeway and insulting my car. It wasn't easy!!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sounds like you will have a lot of fun with the car and not a lot of worries!💓

Yard Farmer, your car has that changing thing going on also doesn't it!

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
180 Posts
Yes, open walk in door its blue, open garage door its aqua. Close doors and look at top of side panel and i swear i see blue/purple. Depends on LED or regular shop light too.
I added a little more green to tint and extra heavy met flake to original mix code.
I wasnt sure at first but have come to love it.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yard Farmer - your car looks good to me

Did you install the Cleveland or was that factory?
The Cleveland that is in the car now is not original to the car. My car is an M code originally equipped with a 4bbl Windsor. I still have the original heads, but the block was destroyed. I gave the original crank to a friend and he used it in his 70 Mach 1.
The Cleveland block that is in there now came from a 70 Torino GT that my father owned back in the 70's. The heads and Strip Dominator were a package deal that I picked up from a gentleman in California about 15 years ago. I'm definitely a fan of that old Cleveland.
Since I've had the car here in Virginia, I have not driven it much, but I have gathered some parts for a few upgrades.
I've got new wiring front to back to install. I'm converting to an in dash tach as well. I'm also converting from glue in to bolt in door glass. Once I get all that stuff done I need to swap out the highway gears. I was going to put in 4.11's with a Detroit Locker, but I do have a center built with 4.11's and a helical locker that I could use instead....

Once I get all that done I'll need to go make a few passes at the track so I can see how fast the old Cleveland is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts