Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hopefully not to much of a dumb question; I will be running a comp cams XE284 cam in my 393 stroker which has a gross valve lift of .541" intake & .544" exhaust & also comp cams hydraulic lifters. I used a checking pushrod on No1 intake to determine the length of pushrod I need however do I need to use the checking pushrod on an exhaust lifter / valve to determine the length of exhaust pushrod I need? I had presumed the length of the exhaust pushrod would have been the same as the intake pushrod however I am know not so sure?

Any assistance appreciated.

Regards,
Martyn

·
Registered
331 Posts
Should be the same since the cam base circle is the same intake and exhaust.

But, it wouldn't hurt to check the length.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just checked my pushrods on a 420W with custom cam. Intake and exhaust lengths were different. On a another forum, there was a similiar question and it is quite common for the lengths to be different

Pete

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been thinking about this over a beer or two, (its 8pm in the UK!) am I right in thinking as I have the exhaust lobe detail which is on the cam card I could calculate the exhaust pushrod lengths using the intake pushrod length as reference - just a thought?

Martyn

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
I would check it with the adjustable push rod. I check both an intake and exhaust on every motor.

1967 Falcon 4 door w/351C - Owner built, owner abused.
70 Mustang 302 / 06 Ranger, 04 SuperCrew parts hauler
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ckelly on 1/8/07 10:53am ]</font>

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Checking with adjustable push rod is the only reliable way of determining pushrod length.

You cannot always assume the intake and exhaust pushrods will be the same length. You should check both to ensure you have the right length.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts