Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heads will FINALLY be done next week. Do I need to get a specific pushrod to adapt my 351W heads to my 289? I saw FMS had some listed in the Jegs catalog. Also, anybody know the part number for the bolt kit that adapts the 351 heads to a 289? Thanks guys!:)

·
Registered
231 Posts
If the 351W heads are the 69-77's with studs and rail type rockers, use 68-77 302 pushrods. If they are later, bolt down fulcrum style heads use 78-83 302 pushrods. To bolt the heads down, simply install a hardened 7/16 flat washer on each head bolt and use the stock 289 bolts and torque specs. The dowels keep the head centered over the cylinder bores so the 7/16th's head bolts work fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Make sure you check on the push rod length. I had to use a bit longer push rods when I put my 352W heads on my 302. I thought it would use stock 302 push rods, but the guy I was ordering from at Summit had somebody who had bent them by putting in stock 302 rods & suggested I use the longer ones. I did and everything has been fine.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would use bolts with stepped washers like ARP pt#154-3605. I dont think I would trust the dowel pins to locate the head.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I agree! As far as I'm concerned, the dowels are mostly to ensure gasket alignment, not to keep the head from shifting.

-Brian

·
Registered
231 Posts
Think about it for a minute guys. The dowels have to center the head over the bores. Then after the 10 bolts are torqued to 70 ft/lbs each the head is not going to be moving anywhere. The dowels will also resist head movement far more than a stepped washer stuck on the end of a 7/16 x 3 1/2 inch long bolt simply because they are right at deck level. I've built a number of 302's with 69 or 70 Windsor heads and simply used hardened flat washers on the stock 7/16 bolts and have never had a head gasket problem with any of them.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I'm not saying that regular washers wouldn't work fine, I'm just saying I'd trust a stepped bolt/stud/washer/whatever more than just regular washers. You may have 10 bolts tightened to 70 ft/lbs., but you also have several thousand pounds of force hitting those heads with each combustion. With that much force, I'd trust a stepped bolt or stud that fits the holes in the head much more than a smaller bolt that requires a washer to clamp down.

-Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts