Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was having trouble with putting the engine in, but got it in by loosening the tranny mount and tilting it up. now the tranny wont fit in place. the mount is like 1/2" too far back. It Really wont go into place! I tryed to pry it and it wont go back, any sugestions?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Quick thought: Are the motor mounts on the correct sides? If they are on the wrong sides, you'll have similar issues. If you didn't change them, disregard.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
FE Mounts are VERY easy to get reversed. And the difference is roughly 1/2 inch... Try swapping them. Also, IIRC, the lil dimple in the mount goes above the stud. Not 100% sure on that though.

Its so easy to screw it up I always write down the orientation on a sheet of paper when I pull one.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you guys are good, that was it!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, maybe i messed up. The engine wouldnt meet the transmission all the way. So i threaded the bolts and pulled the engine to the transmission. Well i havent started the engine yet but i think it was ok to pull the engine closer via the bolts?

I went to adjust the cltch linkage and found that the clutch fork will not move at all. So the throw out bearing must be in constant contact with the pressure plate. Is this ok?

I Can push the truck in netural.
I Cannt push the truck in gear.
I Can push the truck in gear with the clutch pedal is depressed.

Is everything ok, or is something wrong?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what do you think about that TOB? (i know its only been a day, bt i want to get this engine in finished). I want to know if i can run my engine, do the break in.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Crank the engine with the trans. out of gear. Then try the clutch and see if you can change gears. If so the clutch is working.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes i can change gears, but i fear the Throw out Bearing might be in constant touch, is that normal?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks, i did read that before, but my problem is a little different. When my clutch linkage is NOT hooked up at all the clutch fork can not move at all. There is pressure on it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is a 1970 Ford F250. 390 engine (new engine, not my old one, i bought one from someone), 4 speed trans ( I assume stock) not sure which trans though. It is the old throw out bearing, i didnt replace it, it looked really good, just regreased it and threw it back in. Same old pressure plate, looked good also.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the fork will not allow the bearing to move completely away from the pressure plate when the linkage is disconnected,something is definitely wrong.You should have substantial play. Could the bearing have slipped out of proper position on the fork as the engine was being installed? It sounds like that may be the case,and it would also explain why you had to pull the engine/trans together with the bolts......you would have been working against the pressure plate springs. I'm afraid you may have to take this back apart.

Terry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts