Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebuilding the rear drum brakes but I hit a snag maybe someone could help me with.

I'm trying to connect the brake lever to the shoe. It is held by a horseshoe clip and apparently a spring washer. When I disassembled the brake there was no spring washer but one came with the hardware kit and the shop manual mentions it. Problem is I can't find where this spring washer goes exactly and the diagram in the manual doesn't show it. I figured it went in between the clip and the shoe but I can't seem to get the clip hooked on if the washer is there. I'm attaching a picture of the parts I am referring. So where does the washer go?

Thanks for any help the community can provide!

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
you have it in the right place.turn the washer convex side up put thehprseshoe on topp use a 7/16socket and 4 inch c clampto compress washer and crrimp horseshoe with sidecutters

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
you have it in the right place.turn the washer convex side up put thehprseshoe on topp use a 7/16socket and 4 inch c clampto compress washer and crrimp horseshoe with sidecutters

Now you tell me! I put the washer on the other side and squeezed the horseshoe with a needle nose. Wonder if that makes them squeak?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
No but it makes the equalizer bar hard to get on because it separates the arrm and shoe and can make the e-brake stick.You can file the insie of equalizer bar for clearance

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Squeaking begins about 50 feet from the stop sign and increases in db. Looking for the most likely culprit... and can I get some grease on it without puling it all apart?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
:confused:

You mean the brakes make a squeaking sound after a full stop and then pulling away from the stop?

Does it squeak while braking? Did you put new shoe return springs on it?

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
squeaks as I approach a stop. New shoes, new adjusters new springs new horseshoe clips new master cylinder new fluid... I guess it could be the fronts, can't really tell through the window.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Did you turn the drums (heat glaze)? Did you lightly sand the new shoes (grease)? It may also be a heat glaze on the new shoes if they were not broken in properly.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
I did sand the shoes but did not mess with the drums.

Edit: Looks like the squaek was in the fronts. I just now pulled the front drums and replaced them with discs and pads and I think the squeak is ended.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts