Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is finally getting to be spring here after more than six months with snow on the ground. I went about waking up the XL from her winter sleep and have a situation that I've never had with the car. After cleaning under the hood a little bit I installed the battery and it didn't want to crank. I boosted it and it cranked, a little slow, but it cranked. I had disabled the ignition to get the oil pressure up and circulating before firing it up. After a few seconds of cranking the oil pressure was good, so I reconnected the ignition and she fired up and ran. I let it run for while and it all looked and sounded good.

I shut it off to recheck the fluids and look it over before driving it and it would not re-start. There was no click from the solenoid, or the starter. I put the booster cables back on it and still nothing. The battery shows 12.3V on a volt meter. Then I noticed that there was no power anywhere! The radio did not work, the fans don't run, no juice anywhere.

This is the first time I've had this situation in the 29 years with the car. I'm not sure where to look first for what might be the problem. It was working perfectly when I parked it and took the battery out in the fall.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Because you just replaced the battery I would suggest you check the connections you loosened to install the battery. Make certain they are cleaned with a wire brush and tight if the connections are not good there will be no power at all.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Check the plug at the firewall where it plugs into the fuse box. Check the main feed wire (battery conection). What happened was the male and female plugs corroded and melted the plastic. There was a factory recall back in 1970 when these cars were new. Also a recall for a loose starter cable at the starter.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Check all the grounds and the power connection at the starter solenoid that feeds power into the cabin. Make sure the starter is still grounded to the engine. Yes that can happen.
R

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone have electrical diagrams for the 70? Someone had posted some schematics previously, but they were rather low resolution and did not include the underhood wiring, or engine related circuits, just the lighting, as far as I can see.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found my problem, or at least my electrical problem. After the hard cranking at first start I was cleaning connections and I inadvertently left one wire off when putting things back together. The reason I had no power anywhere is because the wire I left off was the primary lead from the battery to the solenoid. D'OH!!!!! It fired right up, and everything seems to work just fine. Sometimes its the simplest thing! LOL!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts