Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning on putting some bigger tires in the rear of my 64 Galaxie, but do not know the biggest size tire the fenderwells can hold. I would check myself, but my Galaxie is 500 miles away in Cali right now.

My question:

Whats the widest tire possible without rubbing using stock axles and suspension? And with what wheel backspacing would you have to use?

Ive searched the internet for atleast 2 hours and havent found anything that really helps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before I forget, Is Crites the only place that sells Fiberglass 64 Teardrop hoods? And are theirs worth $300?

Any help with this also would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
On 2005-10-03 00:18, PeiceOfPaper wrote:
Before I forget, Is Crites the only place that sells Fiberglass 64 Teardrop hoods? And are theirs worth $300?

Any help with this also would be appreciated.
Yes, it's worth the 300 bucks. Other places sell the fiberglass hood, such as Dearborn Classics, but they're just the same Crites made hood with a higher price. I'm not totally sure, but I think Crites manufactures the fiberglass panels for just about everyone else that sells stuff for these cars.

You can get an 8.5 inch wide wheel in the back, with a 4.5 inch backspacing for sure. With 275/60/15 tire or similar it fills the fender nicely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jeremy, thats exactly what I needed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PeiceOfPaper on 10/3/05 7:53pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
An even better look would be a 255-70-15 tire on the 8 1/2" wide wheel with the 4 1/2" back space. The 255-70 has a bigger side wall, but it is just as wide and does not give the car the "Roller Skate" look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anybody got any pictures of some Galaxies with big tires (Ie. 28x12 slicks) sitting inside the stock wheelwells?

1935 Ford 5 window coupe Blown zz4/t56 tranny
1948 Chevy Sedan Deilvery

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PeiceOfPaper on 10/4/05 3:42am ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts