Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 cyclone GT S code car, Orig 390 4bbl./ 4 speed car.
Origin motor/trans long gone. But, I do have a 1972 Mach 1 Q code 351 cj/ 4 speed trans combo, sitting on shelf, that I can use.
My question is, is this a good swap, or should I continoue to try to find a decent 390 S code motor/4 speed trans combo for the car.
all input would be helpful, going to start project in the next 2 weeks.. Pete Z.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I have a 1966 cyclone GT S code car, Orig 390 4bbl./ 4 speed car.
Origin motor/trans long gone. But, I do have a 1972 Mach 1 Q code 351 cj/ 4 speed trans combo, sitting on shelf, that I can use.
My question is, is this a good swap, or should I continoue to try to find a decent 390 S code motor/4 speed trans combo for the car.
all input would be helpful, going to start project in the next 2 weeks.. Pete Z.
you got the engine/trans - use it

289/302 mounts will work with the C

the Cleveland will out power the 390

so install the Cleveland

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Can't disagree with the above comment. But, if it were my car, since I very, very, VERY rarely bury the throttle on my 390 Galaxie, I'd go with originality.

Obviously your call. No right or wrong, IMHO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, Does anybody know of any headers that might work with this combo? Maybe the orig. manifolds to the 72 mustang? Pete Z.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, Does anybody know of any headers that might work with this combo? Maybe the orig. manifolds to the 72 mustang? Pete Z.
I believe you can use swap headers for a 66 Mustang, very similar engine bay, just bigger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts