Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Firstly, congrats on a great forum!

Im in the UK and looking at a supposed Q Code Galaxie. But im having problems decoding the car. Can any of you guys help me please?

I've attached the vin stamp (on the top lip of the firewall) and the build code plate from the door.

Many thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
This website does not give enough time to type a long answer so I'll have to give it to you in bits. VIN: 3 = 1963 model year. U = Louisville, Kentucky assembly plant. 68 = Galaaxie 500XL 2 door hardtop fastback. Q = 427 cubic inch (7 litre) 4 bbl carb, 410 (gross) horsepower FE engine. 145336 = consecutive unit number.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Now for the warranty plate: 63C = Galaxie 500XL 2 door hardtop fastback. A = Raven Black exterior paint. 85 = Red crush vinyl bucket seat interior. 26B = February 26, date scheduled for assembly. 12 = Buffalo, New York, the district sales office who ordered the car. 5 = 3.50 ring and pinion gears in a Ford 9 inch non-limited slip differential. 5 = 4 speed manual (would have been a Borg-Warner T-10) transmission.

·
Registered
228 Posts
A problem with decoding the '63 model year fasback cars is the fact that they did not exist when the new 1963 cars were rolled out in September/October of 1962. Look in the 1963 factory workshop manual and there's no mention of the fastback or the 427 engines. They were released in January, 1963. '63 Fastbacks are called 1963 ½ cars. You can decode their information using the 1964 model year workshop manual. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou so much for your help - I was really struggling!

What did you think of the letter Q in the VIN number? It looked different to me than the other letters - or is that normal?

Is there anywhere else on the car that might be stamped with the VIN for me to double check?

Thanks again

·
Registered
228 Posts
I see what you mean about the "Q" on your VIN being slightly different than the other numbers/letters. It's something to keep in mind but it does match the VIN on the warranty plate and the rivets holding the warranty plate on look to be original. Having said that, new warranty plates and correct rivets are available, and there are some unscrupulous people out there. I would wonder if the lump is original. 427s were race engines and Ford had to expect them to be abused. Some unscroupulous people have taken a "plain Jane" FE, dressed it up as a 427, and tried to pass it off. Don't ask how I know. The quickest way to tell a 427 is to find the crossbolted main bearing caps. Hopefully I have attached a diagram. There are three bolts/washers on each side of the block. Most FEs will have the bosses on the block, but only 427s and late 406s were actually cross bolted from the factory. Other information such as casting numbers on the block and cylinder heads will help with engine identification. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Forgot to answer your question about other VIN locations on the car. My '66 Mustang, '66 F100 truck, and '64 Falcon all have a hidden location where the VIN is stamped. So it's probable that there is an additional location on the '63 Galaxie somewhere, but I don't know where it is. It isn't on the engine block. Ford did do that for Hi-Po 289s but I don;t think they did it elsewhere. Someone else may have better information on that. If the cross bolt diagram is too small for you to see, and you can't enlarge it, let me know and I'll see if I can make it bigger. I'm old and not very good on these things (computers).

·
Registered
228 Posts
It's me again. You'll be fed up of me before long. I have a friend who is an "R" code and "Q" code '62 - '64 Galaxie expert. The good news is there are 2 other places where the VIN can be found. The bad news is you pretty much have to remove the front fenders (wings, to you) to see them. They are tabs like the one on the firewall, but they are at the very ends of the firewall, so I'm told. I haven't looked on my own car yet to confirm. Other things a "Q" code would originally have had: chrome, rounded, "baldy" rocker covers with 427 eagle decals on them; round chrome unsilenced air cleaner; 6 leaves for each of the rear suspension leaf springs; the Holley 4 barrel carb will have a Ford engineering number "C3AB-9510-B" on the air horn; the fuel line will be ⅜ inch OD; the fuel filter will be mounted high up on the front of the engine in a special bracket with the coil mounted vertically below it; the distributor will have dual breaker points; the engine block casting number may be on the passenger side of the block not far back from the #1 cylinder. Hope this info will be of some use to you. Cheers!

·
Registered
48 Posts
You have received excellent info from 635Rangoon427.

If the car is being sold as original, another thing to check is casting dates on things like the block and heads. The casting dates must precede the build date of the car, but must not precede it by too much time. How much time, I'm not exactly sure of (not usually a big problem because the 427s were new at that time).

When I bought my 427 Galaxie, it had a replacement block, which I knew because of the casting dates on it. Two months later, I found a replacement block at a swap meet in Pomona which had the right casting date. So now I can consider my car "date correct" since all the other casting dates are consistent.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
heres you find hidden vin tag under fender..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much for that help. So would a non-427 car have a different amount of suspension leaves on the rear?

Cheers

·
Registered
228 Posts
Heavy duty suspension was part of the 427 engine option package. According to the 1960 - 64 Ford Car Parts and Accessories Manual, heavy duty suspension on Galaxies included 6 leaves on the rear. Each spring of the set was chosen for the specific application. Station wagons (estate cars) also had 6 leaf rear suspensions, but the individual leaves had different part numbers from the HD package. Standard 2 door Galaxies had 4 leaves. Standard 4 door and convertible Galaxies had 5 leaves. Of course, it's always possible that if the HD 6 leaf assemblies were not available as the car was going down the assembly line, something else might have been fitted. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
One other place to look for the VIN. Remove the back seat. Under the back seat back on the face of the package tray facing you there " might" be the VIN stamped. I say "might" because not all assembly plants stamped them there. My Los Angeles assembled 63 1/2 Galaxie 500 does.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts