Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did it go in Houston? Did you get all those '71 460 short blocks? What all did you get? I'm picking up either a '72 or the '74 complete 460 tomorrow but I haven't decided on which one to get yet. The '72 has the crappy D2 heads and the '74 has the better D3 heads but I won't be using either sets of heads anyway, just the short blocks and accessory brackets/pulleys. Should I re-ring the shortblock, use an early('68-'71) timing gear set and stick my D0VE heads on it for very short term use in the Falcon or should I just tear it down and use that crank and timing cover in my roller 466 and use the block for the 557? OR should I pull the 351W/C-4 out of the Fairlane wagon and put in the Falcon wagon temporarily while putting the stock 289/C-4 out of the Falcon in the Fairlane? Decisions decisions..... What should I do? Is there stock exh manifolds that would fit in the '68 Falcon chassis with the stock 460 or would I have to use the Crites headers?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to ask if there is a thin head gasket like .020-.030" that I can use since the stock shortblock will have .030" deck clearance. I don't want to have it decked if I'm going to use it temporarily since the 557 will be used with that block and I don't want to find out the 557 pistons stick out of the bores too far so it must stay undecked until then.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Decisions... tough aren't they! Houston was a blast, went to the races & got 4 short blocks, thinking about getting 6 more. Met a guy with a 460 Pinto, wife has a 351W Pinto slowed to the 12's for safety... Good times! Now, it it was me, knowing I, like you, HAVE to have a hot rod, re-ring & install the shortblock with the D0VE heads & go boogie! That gives you a good jumping off point. As for the manifolds, you know headers are a ton better but I know you & I are in the same financial boat, most all manifolds will fit, CJ's are the best. I just did some swapping for a '68 Mustang with a 74 460 & manifolds... MAN what a tight fit! You know me, get her going, play around, be seen, then... rework it & go fast! Got an idiot here on the TIR board thinkin his rice bike's bad, think I scared him when I told him I'm a second faster since I out ran the late Dave Howell!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
David Howell died? What happened? Glad to hear the Houston trip went well.

A '67-'68 Mustang engine compartment is 1" wider per side at the towers near the bottom than the '66-'69 Falcon so I really need to know which manifolds to use that will clear the towers. CJ manifolds are a little too expensive for be to buy just for a stocker and the headers I don't want to use until they are HPC coated which won't be until the 466 is finished. I will be using a stock or slight stall converter with my other C-4 if I put the stocker 460 in. Hopefully the carb will fit under the stock hood too but I will know the condition of the 460 when I take the heads off probably tonight or tomorrow since I might go to Roswell tonight and the 460 is on the way there. OK, seems like I'll try and go for the stocker swap but manifolds for anything other than a truck I don't have any access to. What would be the tightest block hugging manifolds for the Falcon? What year and what model should they come from? What pilot size is a '72 and a '74 460 crank? Will a small block pilot size converter fit the '72 & '74 460 crank? Can I get by with spacers in the front springs to hold up the full iron 460 since the 466 will be much lighter when it goes in? Maybe I can get a Torker II intake for the weight savings and hood clearance for the stock 460. I know I could drive it on long trips with the stock 460 and use stock 2 1/2" mufflers so it will sound like a stock 289 for a while. I don't have the 3 C-6 block plates I need to use my stock 460 C-4 bellhousing and I don't want to use my J.W. Ultrabell on the stock 460 which doesn't require any block plates. Why don't you just move over here and we could have fun again. Sunny over 350 days a year and even warm in the winter so cruising would be year round
Roswell is 2 1/2 hours away, Colorado is close by and I found great fishing holes for trout in the Jemez mountains 1-1 1/2 hours N/W of here with a nice lake at 9700' altitude full of trout. Places everywhere to go 4X4ing too.

Don't stick you hand into the electric fan on your car to see if it's working....believe me

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Dave had an aneurysm at OKC while on a pass, he was gone before he hit the ground. Now... a 429 TJ 70/71 Torino/Cyclone is as about as narrow as it gets. You might try on the 429 Mid-Size forum & contact Jim Fouty to make sure/find some. This man has it going on! I finally did away with the block problems & modified my converter. THe BB/SB take a different pilot but a spacer works well, remember the 460 in the 71 with a C-4? The front can be re-sprung with BB springs but someone makes a coil over for the front, had some on the 71. You should move here! I caught a 25 pound flattie in my pond!!! BTW the '69 GT was Brads' old car, still can't get him on the phone! I'll e-mail ya tonight b4 I go to the drags!!!! WO-HOO!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't know Brad was still around. That was a nice '69 Torino GT he had so I assume it's about in the same condition now as when he first got it. What's the midsize forum? Can you post the link? Sounds like that's the place for BBF answers
I didn't want to put big block springs on the front because it would be too stiff for proper weight transfer when the lighter 466 goes in. Those coil-overs you had on the '71 sounds perfect to me. Didn't you only have one on the front? Do you remember where you got them or for what application they were for?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Naw, used both on front. Got them from my brother at Mathews/Brads. I think I have a link for them somewhere. Here's a link for mid size http://fomoco.com/forummidsize/
It's for Cyclones & Torinos & 429 pwr intermediates, really well informed people as fas as restorations & part numbers. Even the 390 springs will work well after a very short while. That's what I used 1 of in front. The c/o's were Gabriel load carriers.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got done with a brain storm and realized I have a perfectly good '78 Fairmont wagon that could accept the 460 as a permanent resident. Totally rebuilt front suspension with new bushings, ball joints, rebuilt rack, new tie rod ends, etc. Brakes are all new and car is tight. Paint is good(once I wax it again) and body is straight. i'm not sure if a stock 460 intake or A Torker II intake will clear the stock hood or not and that's a big concern though I'd cut a hole if necessary but that will defeat the stock sounding exhaust sleeper aspect of it. Will manifolds work in the Fox chassis or are headers a must? I won't doo it if I have to buy headers for the Fairmont but manifolds on the Falcon I will if Fairmont doesn't work out.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Somewhere I have an article with a 460 in a 79 stang with manifolds. I think 1 side is easy but I think the drivers takes a CJ. I'll look this evening. BTW you'll need a different pan & pick-up for the Fox. I'm making the pans. Best way to do the F'mont is a D&D kit. Not cheap but REAL nice, $719.95. I have a set of their BT headers $$$ REAL nice! Hooker makes a cheaper set of just the headers & I have all the dimentions for the mounts. I think I'd stick with the Falcon, you LOVE that car, F'monts are everywhere & the '68 is a much cooler car! Also easier to do. If you wanna do the F'mont, holler & I'll look for the mag.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't going to replace the Falcon with the Fairmont. I just thought putting the stockish 460 in the Fairmont would be a good move so it could stay in there and still put the good high comp solid roller 466 in the Falcon still. I forgot I would have to buy and oil pan for the Fairmont too but I might be able to get an oil pan for a good price. I don't suppose the carb on a stock intake will fit under a stock Fairmont hood. All my money needs to go into the Falcon and I was hoping for a super cheap way of putting the stockish 460 into the Fairmont just for a little fun. Went to a big street rod/hot rod car show last night and then cruised on Montgomery from 10:15 till after midnight and realize I need something NOW. I did barely get beat by a '90s Corvette from a dead stop in my '00 F-250 V-10 but it isn't stock and took out some other cars(and diesel trucks) along the way. Beat a Mustang GT also. I thought last night that I should get a nitrous system for my truck and that would take care of almost all those cars out there(except a few) but I don't know of how well nitrous works on the V-10s and how much they can handle or let alone nitrous a system just for V-10s. JunkYardDog(Roger) was with me last night and we had a blast. I haven't cruised in a long time but there was a disappointing moment when I got taken out by a ricer(who also took out some of the faster Mustangs/Camaros out there). I could use some headers and full dual exhaust on my truck but those are ungodly expensive. What's surprising is my truck is a 4X4 and a crew cab yet it beats all trucks Ford/Dodge whether V-10s or diesels even tweaked diesels and V-10s by a good margin. I got a factory "freak" that runs unusually strong and then the $1100 worth of stuff I put on the engine and chip to make it quicker really helped out. It needs premium unleaded even up here at 5200' for the chip to work. If I use 86 octane, the knock sensors cut back the timing and the fuel curve changes but still runs well. 91 octane lets it work good. 0W/30 Mobil 1 and new synthetic trans fluid which I did last week may have helped some too. If I could get a ram air setup and a larger intake and throttle body, that would help out. It shifts at 5000RPM which is just right but I accidentally down shifted into first last night going50MPH and it pegged the factory 6000RPM tach....OOPS! The chip eliminates the rev limiter and the 90MPH speed limiter. It's really a blast to drive and my foot is in it all the time. I just want more power from it though. Mid/low 13s would be nice but I doubt I will buy the stuff needed for that kind of ET. Nitrous is the cheapest so it is the only way for me to go now but I need a system that is proven safe and to add mucho HP(up to 200HP I guess).

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got back a little while ago from picking up a '72 460 60 miles away from here. It's a D1VE blocks, D2 heads, and D0VE intake. I know it's original and it has exhaust manifolds on it but I think they are truck manifolds.

On the way home this afternoon, I came up on a '69 Falcon wagon running 55MPH in a 75 zone. The hair on the back of my neck stood up as I saw how perfectly straight the driver side of car was. Then I checked out passenger side. Looked like a little old man driving and held the center of the lane perfectly even in the high winds. The backs was beautiful and I called my on the cell and said I would be late and that I would follow this guy until he stopped somewhere. About 40 miles later with me on his ass, he gets off on an Albuquerque exit and I continue to follow him for about 6 miles thru town(I ran 2 red lights to stay with him). He finally pulled over because he knew I was following but to make long story short, very nice old man may sell or trade me his unfreekin believably beautiful blue '69 Falcon wagon with 302 and 3 on the tree for my '65 Fairlane 500 wagon. He can't find the shift collar on the column anywhere and is tired of not being able to find and parts so he wants a more common '60s Ford instead. He drives it once or twice a month only when driving on the highway out of town. His '66 Beetle is used for in town use. He said he would sell it to me or trade for my Fairlane. It is totally original and perfect for a 351W stroker and 4spd! I've never seen a '66-'69 Falcon wagon with 289/302 and std trans. Usually a V-8 has an automatic. This is a score of a lifetime. If I paint it white, it will be a clone to my '68 Falcon wagon. Exactly the same interior, color, and condition as my '68 has. I could screw with people big time if I paint it white to match my other Falcon and cruise with the slower one while showing everybody the stock 2V 302 in the '69 and come back out after picking a race with the '68 and anhilate the car I just picked a race with. That would keep people guessing. Have to use the same wheels/tires on both for it to work and similar sounding exhaust too. I'm excited and my wife would definitely like the '69 Falcon better than the '65 Fairlane so that's settled. Now to wait for for him to call and check out the Fairlane and await his decision. One big difference is his '69 has a rear window crank with traditional opening tailgate while my '68 has power window(no window crank) and dual opening tailgate(swing to the side or down). You really don't notice unless you are looking for it though.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Keep after him! Only thing I'd do different is put a 4R70W auto in it. Strong trans, easy for momma to drive. Sounds like you have plenty to do this summer!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like to keep the standard trans in it since it already has it. a toploader would be an easy swap but I'd also like to keep the column shifter to. I've heard of people modifying the column shifter to work with a 4spd while using a seperate cable to operate reverse. I think that would be slick since it would look like a stock 3 on the tree and take the 351 out of the Fairlane and put in that '69 wagon with a 4spd. I think it would be fun to band the gears of a 4spd using a column shifter. First I have to wait for that guy to call me so I can buy it or trade for it. If I decide to go automatic, it will be a C-4 since I have so many of them already. My wife might not be able to drive a 3 on the tree but she can drive a regular floor shifted std trans though. We'll see how that goes....

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I've done a couple of F-100's with a toploader & column shift... real stealthy, real easy. Brad is so undecided on the GT... guess I'll blow that off. Guess L & I will take the Porsche back to Houston & get the other pan... my brake is as busy as a 1 legged man at an ass kicking contest.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keep on Brad about the Fairlane. With the right sound and the right color, people will be breaking their necks when you or they pass by. Porche red and 2 Dominators sticking thru the hood with 4" exhaust from a 557+.

So you say converting the column shifter to handle a 4spd is easy? That would be nice if it is....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts