Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forsee a fiberglass cowl hood in my future and was wondering if any of you had a recommendation for a manufacturer. I know of two, Maier racing products, and Unlimited performance products. Do you have anything to say about these suppliers? Or know of others I could check into.

Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts

Try these guys as well...they seem to make 65 Mustang stuff. www.usbody.com
I have not seen a lot of good things about Unlimited Products on the boards.

Ron

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ron1 on 12/27/01 1:29pm ]</font>

·
Registered
78 Posts
Youre welcome...saw you the other day coming out of Fred Meyer's...

Ron

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Stay away from the Unlimited stuff. I've seen 2 hoods from this company. Both looked like they were done in the backyard during a sand storm. I got mine from HO Fibertrends. Pulled it out of the box and mounted it on the Mustang in about 20 minutes. All it needed was a light scuffing and it was ready for paint. High quality stuff. I can't remember their address. Its in Illinois I think.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a Maier racing cowl hood, it is so bad
i'll be getting something else before I paint
the car. My friend has a 3 year old Maier racing hood and it's bowed about 2 inches.
Total POS!

Regards,
Billgear
www.289mustang.com

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Highly recommend glasstek (out of Illinois). Great fit/great quality/love it. It will be painted by the end of this weekend, so stay ready for pics!!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
If you wish to find Glasstek, they don't have a website, but if you go to yellow pages search for chicago illinois area, and punch in glasstek, it will come right up.
(all my info from my hood is at home)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replys, I was thinking about Maier racing`s hood but I think I will wait till I check out the others after what I just read.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Maier front valence and their fiber glass bumpers. Both are well built. Fitment was good. I like their service too. (I have their subframe connectors too)

I saw their cobra hood at Mustangs Plus a few months ago and it fit perfectly and was smooth. I was sure it was steel until they lifted it to show me th eunderside.

Maybe there is a problem with quality control. I have heard horror stories about almost every vendor as well as praises. My advice would be to find a vendor close to home where you can see the product before you buy. (Just before Christmas I took my wife to get a new outfit. We tried on one jacket and it fit funny. We then tried on a second and it fit perfectly. Maybe we have to expect the same with our auto parts.)

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Yep, Rich. That's the ones. Naperville, Ill.
good luck on your choices.

Oh, yeah, and one more thing. Is the chick in the picture from u.s.body, cold?. or is it just me.........

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: drag79stang on 12/28/01 7:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
78 Posts
You know... I think youre right...she is cold...you should visit the site.

Ron

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ron, I must have just got my stang back from Vern when you saw me, I have been trying to shack it down but the wheather has been difficult, I finally got to really play with it today for the first time and am happy with it cept for the oil leek. Cant wait till the first pass at the track. Looking into a canton oil pan and I figure the best time to replace the pan is with the bellhousing and fly wheel off which I plan to remove to check the rear seal and make sure there is sealer on the flywheel bolts. Right now there is oil coming from the front timing cover seal and it is getting on everything, so I am looking at a big project to trouble shoot the leeks and fix.

Orville

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dont give up on Maier, they have had a some quality control issues over the last few years but anything you buy from them now will be top notch. I recently bought a hood and valence from them for my 65 coupe and was very pleased.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I purchased my hood from Maier several years ago, and it sucks. The fit is terrible. Since my car isn't a showpiece (and shipping is over $100 each way) I decided to keep it... I think they save their crappy stuff to send across the country where people won't be able to afford to send it back.

As for late model vehicles, Cervini's seem really hard to beat...

Unlimited sucks, huh? I'm eventually going to need something a little taller than my present 2.5" unit.

Oh Ron, I really liked the "hi-beam headlights" in that picture. Their site (US Body) is a trip.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would have to vote for the US Body stuff. I have seen some of their stuff and it is top notch. Glassteck also makes very nice fiberglass. Just stay away form Unlimited, perfect example of you get what you paid for.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts