Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on Trick Flow "High Port" cylinder heads? These are the original "Street Heat" heads. My concerns are how well built these heads are (ex. valve seats and guides). I will buy bare castings and add my other parts. I understand that they have patented valve spacing and raised exhaust ports. How do these compare to AFR 185's? I see that the TF's flow a bit more than the AFR's. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Maybe it's just my eyes but it looks like the AFRs match or best the Hi-Ports....hmmm... Go with the Hi-Ports

Air Flow Research 185s (right from the website)
0.200" 129 118
0.300" 189 153
0.400" 234 178
0.500" 267 185
0.600" 277 191

Trick Flow Hi-Port (from the website)
0.200" 133 103
0.300" 186 138
0.400" 230 166
0.500" 257 183
0.600" 267 193

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The difference is very small and it's cheaper to make up for the few HP you lose by going slightly bigger with the cam or rocker ratio. Are 5-10 more HP worth $350 more dollars? Only if money is no object and your running in a heads up class where every fraction of a seconds means winning or losing.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
The AFR's come already ported. The Hi-Ports just come as-cast.

There is a lot of potential with the Hi-Ports. They were THE head back in their day before TFS got bought out by Summit. They came out with the Twisted Wedge and killed off the old Hi-Ports.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The "street heat" heads are not very common anymore. When they came out they were the #1 head on the market. I think the heads that are on the market now flow better than the TFS heads. I used a set on a 351W a long time ago and had no problems with them at all. I actually still have a set of bare cast iron "Street Heat" heads that have never been assembled or anything. I bought 2 sets about 10 yrs ago and 1 set has been sitting in my garage since.

·
Registered
121 Posts
One concern you might consider in your selection is finding off the shelf headers that fit for the Trick Flows, unless of course money isn't an issue. I've got a set of these heads on my 351w in a '67 mustang and I couldn't find affordable headers---ended up drastically modifying a set of 1 3/4" swap Hookers. Also, with the exhaust ports so high, I've had some header flange to valve cover clearance issues even using double gaskets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The "street heat" heads are not very common anymore. When they came out they were the #1 head on the market. I think the heads that are on the market now flow better than the TFS heads. I used a set on a 351W a long time ago and had no problems with them at all. I actually still have a set of bare cast iron "Street Heat" heads that have never been assembled or anything. I bought 2 sets about 10 yrs ago and 1 set has been sitting in my garage since.
Hi I know this is a very old post. But would you still have or know anyone that would have a pair of or just one Trickflow SBF castiron 170 high port cylinder heads. Thanks Ken 226 230 1729

1 - 9 of 9 Posts