Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I have the chance to pick up a complete (right side body is wrecked) 88 Mustang 5.0L EFI GT. It has 90,000. 5sp Manual.

My current setup is a 66 Coupe with a 351W with a c4 tranny. I'll probably have to go through Mustangs Plus or Limited to get conversion parts but do you guys think it will be worth it? I know I'd also have to modify or purchase another driveshaft. As I've been restoring it, I've already plumbed for two fuel lines.

If I just end up installing the engine, will it bolt up to my c4 with light modification?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Do not, do not do not buy 5.0 conversion parts without research. Most parts are common and cheap.

MustangsPlus is notorious for A) insane prices and B) selling super extra special conversion pieces that you either dont really need, are in fact common, or can be bought elsewhere for 1/3 their price.

Most mustang shops want 200 for the conversion balancer, Summit has one for 70. I could go on and on.

If you stay EFI/serpentine and swap in the C4, you'll need to drill the 5.0 timing cover for a dipstick, plug the 5.0 dipstick hole with a 1/8" freeze plug, use the vintage dipstick, oilpan and pickup tube, and swap on a $65 TCI 5.0/C4 flywheel and knock out the pilot bearing for the manual tranny.

The EFI is another box of worms. Eliminate shocktower bracing, run a $100 1pc combo Export/Monte brace for EFI from Laurel Mtn Mustang, or use a $550 MPG headservices brace kit (MPG = wimpy IMO).

Run a F150/Windstar frame mount hi-pressure pump, or a lo-pressure pump feeding a surge tank with a hi-pressure pump in it. Or you could run a $2k fuelsafe cell with an intank pump.

Run the intertia switch, weld sparkplug extenders in for 02 bungs (and if you're running coated headers and you dont want to mess up the coating, you can always weld the bungs in the head pipes, some OEM installs are like that)

Battery: Gotta make room for the air intake, battery either goes in trunk or you could run a short CAI or swap the upper intake around the other way ala Non-HO.

VSS/Speedo cable: If you want to run a VSS you can use a 5.0 speedo cable and VSS. You don't HAVE to, you could always run the stock 66 speedo cable

That should pretty well cover it.
HTH
--Kyle

1 - 2 of 2 Posts