Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, the other day I saw a street rod running a 6-71 and using a triple set-up of two barrel carbs. I unfortunately didn't get a chance to get a real good look at it or to talk with the owner about some questions I had, so maybe some of you good folks here can enlighten me about it.
On using a triple carb set up on a blower, would you still use a progressive linkage to allow you to run off the center carb mostly, and then have the outer two come in with more throttle? or would you have all three open at the same time, since the blower is pushing in more air than a normally aspirated set up is? What would be best to do, run an electric choke, or manual set up? and with a triple set up (not just on a blower either) is the center carb the same CFM as the other two, or is it a higer CFM since you are running off of it mostly at lower speeds?
Thanks for any info!
Mike

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
neither had I until this one, that is why I am curious about how it would run. I believe it waS three holley two barrels...at least that is what it appeared to be, I couldn't get close enough to verify the make of the carbs. I really need to start carrying my camera again!
Mike

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Double and triple carbs are a hold over from when you couldn't get a carb big enough to fit the engine. They are a nightmare to tune (I do have the tools to do it and I am HAPPY that I don't have to use them anymore.) and they have to be re-tuned all the time. Three two barrels on a blower is all for looks and they are probably Stromberg 2bbl carbs. Each of them will run between 350 and 400 CFM. With a blower they are probably progressive with the idle circuits killed on the outside carbs. Each of them have the cruise and power circuits running and if it is a big engin the carbs may need the idle circuits working on all the carbs. (not required for a smallblock)
They look pretty cool but when you can get at least 10% better power with a single 4 bbl carb and be freed from the tuning chores it is well worth losing the "look".
I just feel sorry for the owners when I see multipl carb setups on the street.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was at a car show a few months ago, and spotted this driving in. It is a 500+ ci cheby driving through a auto trans, and a offshore race boat reverse drive unit, into a 9 inch. He has 3 four barrel carbs on it. It is a weekend cruiser.

When I first saw it driving in, I thought the engine was in the bed to be sold at the swap area

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 392Bird on 9/28/06 9:56pm ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts