Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 65' galaxie 500, and ive been looking into giving it more of a hot rod look. i was wondering if a carburetor scoop popping out of the hood is possible to do. if you know about this please reply... thank you!

·
Registered
440 Posts
dont know if throwing on on a stock intake/carb setup will make it pop out of the hood very much if at all. most people that run then either run a tunnel ram intake or a gear drive. i actually plan on running one as well though in the same fashion as you. (right on top of neither of what i mentioned above) i plan on running a shotgun style scoop. i dont want it to stick out of the hood very much though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ohh yeah shotgun style woud look really cool thats a good idea. i was thinking more along the lines of this though...
Redirect Notice

do you think its possible to mount that to the 65 galaxie?

·
Registered
440 Posts
ohh yeah shotgun style woud look really cool thats a good idea. i was thinking more along the lines of this though...
Redirect Notice

do you think its possible to mount that to the 65 galaxie?
most of them are a universal fit. but some of them only work with single carb some only work with dual carbs and some work with both. usually in the description of the part. like on summit for example it will list what size carb plate it will accept.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I believe to give the 65 a real hot rod look is the teardrop hood. That was the main hood to have in 65. Both of the galaxies I'm building have this hood. If you go to my web site rcchesnutt.smugmug.com and click on cars you will find both galaxie One complete and the other in the middle of a frame up. If you look at the Torino you will see the Spectre air intake I will be using on the frame project.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I believe to give the 65 a real hot rod look is the teardrop hood. That was the main hood to have in 65. Both of the galaxies I'm building have this hood. If you go to my web site rcchesnutt.smugmug.net and click on cars you will find both galaxie One complete and the other in the middle of a frame up. If you look at the Torino you will see the Spectre air intake I will be using on the frame project.
X2 on this statement, the only hood for the '63 to '66 Galaxie is the teardrop. Besides providing extra clearance, from what I have read, it helps hot air escape from the engine compartment. Although this gives no 'ram air 'effect it does help to keep the engine cooler. The hood scoops that stick up out of the hood on top of the carb do little as far as a 'ram air' effect because of the air flow pattern over the hood. They have to be pretty high to catch any air.
Besides there is nothing as 'sweet' as a fiberglass teardrop hood shaking when stopped at a stop light in a cammed up motor in the Big Gal;).

·
Registered
260 Posts
I went the other way for a ram air effect. i wanted to retain the stock hood. my cam is realllllllllllllllllllllllllll lumpy at idle. Kind of sounds like the beginning of hot for teacher.

i used a spectre plenum and a canister air filter with a duct to the radiator support.

I used a hole saw to cut a 4" hole next to the headlight bucket. don't mind the messy wiring. I havent gotten to installing my new harness yet, so it is a little unorganized.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I went the other way for a ram air effect. i wanted to retain the stock hood. my cam is realllllllllllllllllllllllllll lumpy at idle. Kind of sounds like the beginning of hot for teacher.

i used a spectre plenum and a canister air filter with a duct to the radiator support.

I used a hole saw to cut a 4" hole next to the headlight bucket. don't mind the messy wiring. I havent gotten to installing my new harness yet, so it is a little unorganized.

I have the spectra dual 4" tubes running to holes in the core support like yours. The inner head lights are removed like the lightweights. I haven't installed my tubes or air cleaner yet because the driver side tube hits my master cylinder in front of my power brake booster. I'm going with manual brakes after the first of the year. You have a good setup for collecting the air.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have the spectra dual 4" tubes running to holes in the core support like yours. The inner head lights are removed like the lightweights. I haven't installed my tubes or air cleaner yet because the driver side tube hits my master cylinder in front of my power brake booster. I'm going with manual brakes after the first of the year. You have a good setup for collecting the air.

Thanks!

Mine is angled like that because it was the only way it would fit while retaining a 4" tube the whole way.

If i cocked it even 1/2" towards the rear, The throttle linkage wouldn't come to rest properly.

I almost bought one of their kits, but i ended up piecing mine together. The tubing that you see is thicker ABS plastic and is not flexible.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
... my cam is realllllllllllllllllllllllllll lumpy at idle. Kind of sounds like the beginning of hot for teacher.
LOL Damn. Now that's going to be stuck in my head all day! BTW - nice setup. :tup: Where did you source the ABS? I'm grabbing cold air just above and in-front of a small air dam (good pressure zone), then I need to do a tight 4" 90° cold-air turn through the rad support and into a turbo. They only let you walk around the hardware stores with calipers for so long... LOL
:rolleyes:
David

·
Registered
260 Posts
LOL Damn. Now that's going to be stuck in my head all day! BTW - nice setup. :tup: Where did you source the ABS? I'm grabbing cold air just above and in-front of a small air dam (good pressure zone), then I need to do a tight 4" 90° cold-air turn through the rad support and into a turbo. They only let you walk around the hardware stores with calipers for so long... LOL
:rolleyes:
David
I bought one of the airraid " ubi" u build it intake tubes. I got it on sale locally for $30. No idea what they normally cost.

I'll look, but i think i may have a 90 left over, that is if you don't need the entire kit.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
I bought one of the airraid " ubi" u build it intake tubes. I got it on sale locally for $30. No idea what they normally cost.

I'll look, but i think i may have a 90 left over, that is if you don't need the entire kit.
Cool! I'm checking another local source this weekend, and I'll let you know if I come up empty-handed. Thanks for the offer!

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts