Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been having trouble finding a split bench seat for our 64 Galaxie 500 convertible. Finally found one at a scrap yard I found on the internet.

They want $100.00 for the seat and $50.00 for the floor brackets. Plus shipping
The condition is not very good.

We are very new to this restoration thing and are not sure what is a good price.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
What do you mean by "can anyone help"?

Help in the form of better condition, lower prices, local area or information on interchange options? Help can come in all kinds of ways, you have to more specific is what you’re asking for.

Second, when you are asking for parts to be shipped to you, then you have to be aware of how it is selling, what you are buying and what the marketability of the part might be. Something that you can pickup out of the local junk yard, if they have the car and the item you are looking for - might be $25 at the pick a part (but most of them only have later model cars...80 - 90's) 'cause that’s all that you will find being towed of city streets. Cars from the 50's, 60's, 70's are hard to find (and getting harder) because they rare and even 4 doors are starting to have value in the market.

The only way to get lower prices...is start hitting the back alleys, country towns even gravel lot car dealers may have an old car on the back lot, that you might be able to get for a decent price...then sell off the rest.

No one is giving away parts anymore; they'll either put it on E-bay or send it to the crusher.

You could look into joining the FGC of A (Ford Galaxie Club of America)...they are into old galaxies and members are usually good about offering parts at reasonable prices to other members through the monthly news letter (Gazette). Hard parts like seat frames, convertible stays/bows, ...etc are specific enough that they are either worthless to the general market or worthy of premium prices to the right buyer, unless you hunt them down yourself and don't mind getting dirty, bee stung attacked by ants and various varmints, ...etc are specific enough that they are either worthless to the general market or worthy of premium prices to the right buyer, unless you hunt them down yourself and don't mind getting dirty, bee stung - attacked by ants and various varmints.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
If you need it and they got it...........You are not going to find those parts everywhere anymore the cars are 40+ years old now, sometimes its a sellers market.

·
Registered
830 Posts
V DAY. try craigslist. Sometimes shiping will bite you in the butt on bigger items. Try local swap meets. Is your seat beyond repair?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Auto Krafters on the net have tons of used parts and hangers full of old Ford cars. I don't believe the bench seat is that highly sought after so I would call them @ 1-800-228-7364. I had luck finding some stuff through them a few years ago. Good luck.

·
Administrator
21,843 Posts
Vday, where are you located out of couriousity. Plus someone else might read this and actually have what you need that might be in your area or know of some place near to check.
Also welcome to the forum!

Deb

·
Registered
53 Posts
V-Day...The price you pay depends on how much you want the part...what they quoted you on the seat is not too outrageous and you can always get seat covers to ...well...cover up the boo boos...we had to bite the bullet and get bench seat covers front and back for our '65 Dana...ouch!!! $345.00...just bite the bullet and hit the pay now button...Marla

·
Registered
825 Posts
its hard to put an estimate on a part without seeing the condition first hand.

$100 would sound decent if in good condition and the brackets included....

shipping is whats going to kill ya.....

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Are you driving the car right now or is it work in progress ?

If its being worked on now I wouldn't do it, I'd wait until i find one locally.

Or, at least a few hours drive away.

You will find one for a good price, i bought some tbird bucket seats on ebay for $5 once, the console for $10, i saw them for $200 all over the place,. . . . . . .. . . . . .............. .. .. . . ..

If you search you will find

L

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lgh1157 on 8/18/06 2:09pm ]</font>

·
Registered
91 Posts
Vday, these guys are right-If you are patient and look everywhere possible you will find one at a reasonable price. Rare stuff is hard to find at a reasonable price. Join the FGCOA and you will never regret it when it comes to finding parts. I've been buying old Ford parts for over 15 years and know most of the ins and outs of finding and shipping. I bought a hood from ark. a frame from ark., a deck lid from Ohio and got them to Va for a litlle gas money by Galaxie club members. When you are in a hurry to get something, you will pay more just like any other product. Shop around. I wouldn't pay all that shipping. the parts are on the high side anyway I think but you know about opinions don't you? lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts