Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I was lazy and put off the port matching of my intake to the cylinder heads, now I'm wondering if I should pull my intake and do it. well, question is, currently the intake runners on my D0OE windsor heads are matched to the gasket. The very beginning of the runner walls are matched to the gasket and then they become smaller (because of the curve in the ports caused by the pushrod hole). well if I port my intake, wouldn't it make sense to only port it to the smallest distance between the two cylinder walls?

If I were to port match my intake to the gasket, the incoming air/fuel would be forced from the larger ports through the smaller distance between the two walls, causing the A/F to speed up at the point and then slow down as the runner widens, and then speed up again as it exits into the cylinder.

What effect does this have on performance? if any, between me port matching my intake to the gasket vs. port matching it to the largest distance between the two walls of the cylinder head? I'm really more curious than anything, either way I do not expect to see a noticeable improvement in power, I'm just wondering what is the smarter thing to do?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Usually, aftermarket intakes have smallish ports so that they can be port matched. You probably have a step where the intake meets the head where fuel in suspension can fall out of suspension. Smoothing the transition will always help, but it's good practice to smooth ports as far back as necessary to reduce "bulges" in the overall runner making the runner more consistent in its cross section.

I ported my DOOE heads and gasket matched them to felpro 1262s. If you used a 1262, your probably have a significant step where the intake meets the head. If you used a felpro 1250, the step may not be that bad. It's hard to say because very intake manufacturer is different. My intake was a 8020 weiand stealth. It got opened up a pretty fair amount when I port matched it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts