Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at building a budget 393, using stock rods and KB192 pistons. The pistons are made for floating pins, stock rods are press fit, and I don't want to have them bored out for bushings. Can I just not use the spirolocks? The rod and piston are both set up for a .912" pin.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Maybe it's just me or how I got started in the car hobby...or its a regional thing.

One of the things that I've always done with Ford engines is stick to floating pins. I never even heard of press-fit rod/pistons/pins, except on GM engines.

They'er easier to deal with when you assemble your engine at home, the seem to less likely to seize up or give you grief in operation.

Beside, if its something that the do over at the Generals...I'll do the opposite.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 2006-06-28 08:11, Beoweolf wrote:
Maybe it's just me or how I got started in the car hobby...or its a regional thing.

One of the things that I've always done with Ford engines is stick to floating pins. I never even heard of press-fit rod/pistons/pins, except on GM engines.

They'er easier to deal with when you assemble your engine at home, the seem to less likely to seize up or give you grief in operation.

Beside, if its something that the do over at the Generals...I'll do the opposite.
every ford engine I've ever worked on had press fit pins. I've never had any trouble with them seizing up either. Not really sure what you're talking about, its a pretty solid design in my book. I was just curious about compatibility, I think I'll just toss the spirolocks as suggested.

·
Registered
991 Posts
ya I have had many guys run it like you want to

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Yeah... every ford I've been inside (every factory engine, for that matter) has had press-fit pins.

I've got spirolocks on my 302 now, they've held up fine so far.

Really, either is fine done right, but yes you can press fit the rods and just pitch the spirolocks - the wrist pin can't walk if the rod is pressed onto it, and thats all the spirolocks prevent.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My advice....if you're buying new rods...get bushed ends and go with floating pins....but if you're reusing something you already have, press 'em on. If you heat the end of the rod you really don't have to press fit them, you can slip the pin in by hand. IIRC, there was a post about that a few weeks ago. If you really want to press your luck, take an appropriately sized hone to the rod end and make 'em fit. Be sure and drill a .125 hole in the rod end for oiling. I've done this a few times in the past, but I don't recommend it. Certainly not for a street motor.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Ditch the spiro-locks. Go press-fit. It will hold up just fine. The only street/strip engines that really benefit from floating are ones that need pistons changed out regularly, or ones that turn 8k rpm.

I've pounded 200hp nitrous shots and 7k rpm on press fit pistons/rods for many miles without any problems.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-06-29 16:28, scottford351 wrote:
N2OMIKE,

I was over to the big town of Spencer WV on Tuesday

I saw Jesus and 2 of the Disciples driving a beat up Dodge pickup.
I cannot type how loud I laughed at this post!

Bout pissed myself actually!

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Where you from, Scott???

Yea, Spencer is kind of isolated. It's 25 miles from the nearest interstate highway, is surrounded by curvy roads, and when people tell you their phone number, they just say the last four digits.

The county is pretty large geographically, but only has one grade 9-12 high school, and it has an enrollment of around 700 students. On the UP side, property is cheap, there isn't a lot to blow your money on, people don't wear top fashions, pickup trucks and Carharts are the style, there is plenty of room to run ATV's and go four wheelin', police look the other way when you ride the kids in the back of the truck, etc.

It's like stepping back in time in a lot of ways. Cheap and simple... as not very many people have very much money here. It's a very mono-culture, and that culture is '******* white boy' driving a pickup truck with a four wheeler in the back.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Mike,
I'm about 30 miles north of you on the Ohio side in Reedsville. Its across from Belleville.

Pretty much the same ******* lifestyle up here to- without the crooked roads. Its farm land aroud here with nice straight stretches to rip and tear. No one says much about running around with the headers uncapped.

Most of the women here have teeth too--- well --except for the neighbor woman
. No one told her RED MAN will rot your teeth!!

Heck, My wife recognized Kanahaw Valley Dragway in your picture. Everyone needs a woman who knows her dragstrips!

Have you been there under the new ownership yet?

Later,Scott

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
West-By-God-Virginia !! I lived in Greene County, Pa (on the border) for about 5 years, same thing !!

·
Registered
749 Posts
LOL....well if you want to talk open country....come to 6 people per square mile Montana. I will put it this way you can drive thru 4 and even 5 eastern states before you can drive across Montana. When you leave "town" here....your out into "nothing". People have left for a country drive in the winter and never came back....alive. Anyway I like it...its quiet, clean, and relatively safe...well...everone is armed to the teeth here and tend to get "old west" when it comes to family and property...othewise the people are pretty easy to get along with.

81 Mustang 351W/AOD 12.13 111.7
budget 87 octane street and highway driver

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: qtrhors on 7/2/06 2:06am ]</font>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts