Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I have a semi weird question. I've been building a 302 for my car, but I need to move the car from where it is, and it needs to be running. Ive been waiting for the Machine shop to finish my heads but they will be a while. Right now the block still has the factory 77 302 heads on it. I put the cam and new valve train in on the old heads, but if I just toghten the nuts down to the positive stop I will have too much preload. Can I get away with using poly locks for now just to break in the cam and drive it over to where it has to be stored temporarily? Then once the new heads are ready and I can bring it to my house swap them over?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK I figured that would work, I just wanted to know if there was any reason why not. I also was thinking the softer springs might make it easeir on the cam during break in. Rather than buying polylocks where can I get a set of locking nuts?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Summit, go to Fasteners, Nuts, part type? nuts, Self locking, (non plastic) I like ARP especially in the valve train dept. then pick your size. Yours is probably 5/16x 18 or 24, might be 3/8 but I doubt it. Better check to make sure. They pack them in packs of 5 so get 4 packs. Don't go to a hardware store. Most of their stuff is China junk. If you have a "Fastenal" store they might help you. But they sometimes want you to pay a 100 pg. Local Cat dealer is also a good source of quality fasteners.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts