Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking shop with a comrade of mine. He, is a Honda guy and unfortunately a mechanic by trade. I say unfortunately becuase I am an enthusiast and I have no where near the expertise in engines as he does. He says that the 460 and 514 are slow to rev. Does that mean it has its peak horsepower in the upper RPMs? He tends to think in terms of more power in the Higher RPMs since his engines (Hondas) rev so damn high. Can anyone shed some light on this debate.

The reason why this comes up is because he has a CRX with a Japanese spec 1.6 SIR (alphabet soup) engine and claims when he bores it out he will be better off than I would be if I built my dream car. That being a 1949 or 1950 Shoebox Ford Business Coupe with a 460 or 514 Big Block and a C4 tranny.

I know there are some variables that can occur when you build an engine.... but assuming neither of us are on the "juice" will his power to weight ratio be better than in the Shoebox?

·
Registered
237 Posts
if both of you are naturally aspirated, and you arent building a smog stock 2bbl low comp small port motor, then you should be able to beat him in a straight line race. When you say 514, im thinking that your talking about a pretty built up motor. if your gonna stroke it, i figure you improve the induction and exhaust a lot to match it. So basically if you build even a mild well matched setup, you wont need to rev up very high since your low end torque will more than triple his. if you lose, let me know where he is and ill come race him.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3500# is about what the Shoebox weighs... even less with the 3 inch chop I would do to it.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I'll stack the responsiveness of my 466 to any nip car out there. When you get serious with a BBF they get as responsive as they come. Seen a Pro Stock race? Build your dream car, beat the crap out of him, go have a soda after..... ahhhhh good times!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I dont get the slow to rev, my 545 and Greg557 motor revs like a small block, tell the honda guy to think before talking

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I figured something was fishy since he does not even work on Fords, rather he is a Chevy guy if he was not able to have his Jappy car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts