Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out how the kickdown lever for the transmission is suppose to return. The previous owner screwed around with the linkage and some things aren't right.

1. Does anyone have a close up picture of how things are suppose to look that are connected correctly?

2. Is there supposed to be a bushing where the kickdown arm connects on the lever?

3. Shouldn't there be some type of return spring on the kickdown lever? Mine just falls back if I don't connect a spring. I rigged a spring but I'd rather know what it is supposed to look like when it is correct.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would also be looking for this information, pictures. I am assembling all my linkage now the the motor is back in. I am running a cruisematic and an edelbrock AVS 650 if that makes a diffrence. I did buy the throttle linckage bracket, but havent put it on yet. I am replacing that huge bracket that ,mounted on the original intake.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I can take a pic at the carburator. May take a little work to get a pic at transmission. Since I am running a cruise-o-matic I had to buy an FMX linkage and modify it where it mounts to tranny.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fakesnake on 4/17/06 9:32pm ]</font>

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL. I edited my post several times and must have deleted the year before I posted.

66 352. Looking for some close up shots at the carb.

A side view, over head view, and a front view would be nice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, but I really need a pick of a stock 352 4brl and all its linkage in place.

Love that Starliner. I saw my first 1960 Edsel recently that has a similar shape that would make a beautiful cruiser like that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi there folks.

I would like to know a bit about this aswell..

I´m interested in pictures showing how to mount the throttle & especially kickdown-rod etc on a 1965 500XL, it´s a 390" with a Holley 750cfm & C6 transmisson.

Any help is appriciated.

Thank you, And have a great day!

Best Regards //Pontus Andersson, Malmoe, Sweden.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AnderssonsGalaxie on 4/20/06 3:31am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-04-19 12:30, AnderssonsGalaxie wrote:
Hi there folks.

I´m interested in pictures showing how to mount the throttle & especially kickdown-rod etc on a 1965 500XL, it´s a 390" with a Holley 750cfm & C6 transmisson.

Any help is appriciated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AnderssonsGalaxie on 4/20/06 3:31am ]</font>
Does your 750 have the Ford kickdown lever on it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
On 2006-04-20 15:27, wildosvt01 wrote:
On 2006-04-19 12:30, AnderssonsGalaxie wrote:
Hi there folks.

Any help is appriciated.

Does your 750 have the Ford kickdown lever on it?
I have to say i dont know, I´m new to this area.
I bought a "Ford kickdown kit" from holley though, I guess that´s all i need?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am interested in this Q also. I have a 65 Gal 352 Ford 4 bbl. My passing gear rod just is hanging loosly between the throttle clip and the Cruise0, with no support in between, and no return spring. Weirdly it seems to work ok but I would like to know about the return spring, some kind of bushing and finally, surely, there should be some kind of support somewhere along the 4 foot run down to the tranny?

Thnaks in advance!
Putts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
There should be a return spring on the kickdown lever, but my 67 is also unsupported along the entire length.
Personally I am going to remove mine. With the 3.55 gears I now have I find I don't really need it to downshift, and if I want I can always do it manually (essentially doing the same think at the kickdown lever)
I can take a closeup pic of my setup tonite and post it later.

·
Administrator
22,116 Posts
Don't know if 66 is the same as 64 but hopefully it is. I don't have my kickdown rod on there right now but can show you where it goes. The Green arrow is to where the spring is connected. The yellow arrow is to where the rod is inserted. The rod end of the bracket should be all the way up facing the front of the car when the gas pedal isn't fully to the floor. The spring should keep it up like that. I believe I had my spring going to the front of the block with the throttle spring. Been so long since I had the rod on there I can't remember now. But as long as it holds the one end up...
If 66 is the same set up I can get a better and bigger pic and email to you. I didn't realize there was something blocking the other end til after I lightened the pic.

Deb

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShotRod64 on 5/10/06 10:26am ]</font>

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mine on the 65 Gal is a lot different than yours Deb.

The rod is very light and requires no support other than the hookup at the trans and at the carb linkage. A couple of clips and a return spring, thats it.

·
Administrator
22,116 Posts
There is a difference that's for sure. Mine doesn't need a rod to the carb even. Guess mine's a dinasaur. The linkage from the carb, only the one rod, works the kickdown. When the pedal is all the way to the floor it pushes the rod down that goes to the transmission. Yours must bypass the linkage bracket at the back of the engine? I see it now. Saved the pic and lightened it.
Yep yours bypasses the extra step there. My rod only reaches to that bracket and the throttle linkage works it.

I think it should pull back. 'Easy' way to tell is see which way your lever on the transmission has to move to engage passing gear.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShotRod64 on 5/11/06 12:57am ]</font>

·
Registered
646 Posts
ShotRod, yours looks like it is all mechanical. The 65 has a setup like a cable to the gas pedal. It clamps into position in a bracket at the back of the manifold and the cable slides back and forth inside the sleeve. Like a Lokar actually. The kickdown rod is pushed back and down towards the firewall which actually moves the lever at the trans in a downward direction. "Kickdown" into lower gear. Voila!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well i will really need help with this part i think.. I´ve never done anything like it, And none of the parts has been in my car before, Transmission, kickdown-rod, And the carb..

Does anyone perhaps have any pictures of the linkage on a C6 transmisson? 1966-1972, If that helps.

All help is appriciated!

//Andersson..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.