Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a set of Cal-Tracs on the Falcon. I'm not using Drag Radials or slicks only good old TAs (225 60 15 BFG TAs). I am getting around 2.05 and down to 1.95 60ft times. My question is about how hard to launch. Do the Cal-Tracs perform better when the receive a hard shock load or when you ease into them? I know that the TAs are the limiting factor, but I am just trying to figure out the best way to launch.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Are you just using the bars? Are you getting alot of chassis separation at launch? What hole are you using upper or lower? Do you have rebound dampening shocks ? sorry for the questions but are relevant.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I contacted cal-tracs and they said to run no more than 1/4 turn preload as doing so will just stiffen up the suspension and not allow it to transfer weight like it should. They also said that the upper hole hits harder than the lower but I'm still not sure which is desired. I have yet to really play around with them.

Here is the email:

"Basically you want to start with light amount of preload. Less preload hits harder than more preload which just makes the suspension stiffer and gives you less action. I recommend just 1/4 turn of preload side to side with the drivers weight in the car. You also need at least 5" of front end travel to be effective on launch. Top hole also hits harder over the lower that provides a little softer hit. Any questions please let me know. Thank you.

Travis @ Calvert Racing "

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mikemustang289 on 10/15/06 9:48am ]</font>

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To anwer the questions:
I have 4.5Leaf springs,
I don't think I have chassis separation, but how could I tell?,
I am using the upper whole,
The car is not just drag car specifically, so I'm using KYB gas. I know they are stiff, but the car loves them on the road course.

I have also heard yuu can help the car launch straighter with Cal-Tracs. Anyone have any info on this as well?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just wondered if you were using monoleafs. Kyb's I believe would be the opposite of what you want. Calvert lists a rancho rs 9000 shock that will be stiff on the rebound but is 9-way adjustable. I would run the bottom hole and adjust as per calvert instructions. even with incorrect shocks my galaxie has gone from 2.05 ----1.70 on a drag radial. I dont think you can expect to get great 60 ft times from your tires but sneaking out of the hole and giving the hit might just work for you. Next time to the strip have someone watch the rear of your car from the side and see if the body is lifting on the launch. also road handling suspensions do not translate well to drag racing for weight transfer. that front has to lift. calvert has done incredible 60 ft times on the small 60's ford platform they are used alot.

·
Subscriber
329 Posts
The drag race weight transfer vs. road race suspension issue is not an absolute. But I've learned a few things in the process of trying to do both. I have 720 springs on the front with 1.125 sway bar and poly bushings. Typical track day stuff. The big expense and a key for tuning is double adjustable QA-1's up front.

The back used to be five part leafs with Competition Engineering Slide-a-Links and single adjustble QA-1's. All it did was spin, even with ET Streets. 1.88 60 ft. best with typical 2.0's.

I switched to the Calvert split monoleafs and did the Shelby type/ negative wedge drop to the front control arms whcih in addition to helping improve camber change gave more front travel. I kept the CE bars and everything else. Handling is still good with the rear shocks set at 10.

Those two changes now have me at the low 1.50's, 60 ft times. The car is heaavy, 4220 with me in it so there's no hanging the hoops but there is four inches of front rise and bout a inch of body separation at the reaar. No spin with Mickey Thompson Drag radials. That's with a 5 setting on the rear shocks and 12/2 compression/rebound on the front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts