Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 3310-2 on a 351c and it all of a sudden is pumping huge amounts of fuel into my cleveland, the sparkplugs are wet with fuel and is not running well at all, at first i suspected a blown power valve but i've changed this and it made no difference, when i was having a look at it it even pumped fuel out of the airbleed on the primaries although it didnt do that today. when i changed the powervalve i checked the floats and they are moving freely.

any ideas? this happened all of a sudden, i hadnt made any changes

1980 XD Falcon
351c 238/[email protected]
Toploader
9inch 3.5 gears

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 351ciofgrunt on 6/3/06 4:40pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I'd say a small piece of dirt or something likely stuck a float open, and fidgeting with it cleared it up without it ever being obvious.

Unless of course its still doing it, then I'd look at a worn needle and seat, or a pressure regulator issue (if you have one).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no the problem is still there after changing the power valve and making sure the floats are moving freely, i'm not running a fuel regulator as i've just got the standard mechanical pump.

can you tell me more about this needle and seat? is it repairable? my dad suggested that the needle might be stuck so i did tap all around with a piece of timber, as i dont actually know where the needle is....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 351ciofgrunt on 6/3/06 3:55pm ]</font>

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sounds like a stuck needle to me. My 66 used to do it about once a month until i changed out to a new fuel tank.
Theres a nut with a screw on top of it. Thats your needle/seat assembly. If I remember correctly, Just loosen the nut and take it off. I used to just blow on the needle to get rid of whatever spec of dirt, or sand got stuck in there. Put assembly back into hole and tighten nut.

If I got the needle/seat assembly removal wrong, im sure someone will correct me.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey guys
i just put in a new needle and seat this morning and it made no difference at all, so i've got no idea now....

so all up i've changed the power valve and the needle and seat

but its still pumping way too much fuel, the spark plugs are dripping....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Make sure the float itself isnt leaking and filling up with fuel, or the needle and seat won't close off at all. Are the boosters dripping fuel at idle?
Also, did you change the primary and secondary needle and seats?

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
duh, I dunno why I always forget that...

Yes, be 100% sure your float is floating!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i did adjust the float level when i put in the needle and seat, but yeah i havnt checked to see if the float is floating....

i'll try that next, thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had a similar problem on my cleveland recently. My Mr Gasket fuel pump started puting out 11 psi (instead of the normal 6).
Get a fuel pressure gage and see what the pressure is.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Also check that the gasket on the power valve is installed correctly. Depending upon the power valve design, if the gasket gets off center during the installation process, it will not seal. Also check that the power valve is not bottomed out in the power valve cavity of the main body. You can check this by making sure the metering block sits flush with the main body without the metering block gasket in place. Take a straight edge and insure that the metering block gasket surface on the main body is also square or not warped. And I'm assuming you've already replaced the metering block gasket at this point. A fully compressed gasket can have trouble resealing against any deformities that are pre-existing in regards to gasket seal.

·
Registered
282 Posts
On 2006-06-04 06:36, Mpcoluv wrote:
I had a similar problem on my cleveland recently. My Mr Gasket fuel pump started puting out 11 psi (instead of the normal 6).
Get a fuel pressure gage and see what the pressure is.
I'll second that! Confirm your fuel pump operation with a gauge!!
Had a similar problem about a month ago. On start-up one night I had fuel everywhere. Was too busy dealing with it to look at the FP gauge, and I have one <U>inside</U> the car! Checked power valve, needles and seats, floats... nothing. A few days later while driving I saw the pressure spike to 10 psi and stay there. BINGO!! Fortunately I was on the freeway when it happened, so the engine speed/load was such that the motor just burned it up. After that I noticed inconsistent/fluttering fuel pressures... as low as 3 1/2 psi when I wound it out, as high as 10 psi when I let off the gas!! This was with an Edelbrock Performer 6-valve fuel pump. Needless to say, I swapped it out. At a friends' insistence, I installed a Carter #6904 pump... 120 gph @ 5.5 - 6.5 psi. On start-up it went to 6.5 and sat there, rock solid. Barely moves at all when I stick my foot in it. The Edelbrock was <U>never</U> that consistent. Always fluctuated.

Check your pump!!

Kevin

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay well i'm really disappointed and confused at the moment, ive just finished putting in a rebuild kit (gaskets, power valves, needle seats) and i blew out all the galleries etc with an air compressor, reset the floats and still no good

what i've done so far:

- full rebuild kit
- new dizzy cap, new spark plugs

- cars still missing/shaking, and when you try to give it some gas the engine accellerates slowly with a fair bit of back firing.

- pulled out a couple plugs and they're almost dripping with fuel

doesnt seem to be ignition related because the car still starts quickly

i'm just running the standard mechanical fuel pump, no electric pumps, so could it still be the fuel pump? or is it only the electric ones that can start pumping too much fuel?

1980 XD Falcon
351c 238/[email protected]
Toploader
9inch 3.5 gears

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 351ciofgrunt on 6/10/06 11:55am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Using a falshlight, or a match if your adventurous.... take a look down the choke housing and look at the main venturies while just idling. If you see fuel running out the bottom of the venturies, then you will know where you problem is, the main circuit.

Now the carb can be 100% fine and still do this is there is a problem with the timing, or you have too strong a vacuum signal at idle, pulling fuel out of your main circuit when it is not supposed to be.

Do you know what your vacuum is at idle? Out of gear I would assume you are still running way too rich and dripping plugs?

Carb too small????

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
check each one of the plugs to make sure they are firing. Also check to make sure that your firing order is correct.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts