Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since your setup is very similar to mine, I wanted to ask you about cooling. What are you using in the way of radiator, fan, shroud, thermostat, and water pump? Did you have any problems with cooling or did it just work as is?

I got caught in traffic yesterday due to an accident and had to let it idle for about 10 minutes in stop-and-go traffic. By the time I got moving again, it was running about 215 degrees. I'd like to base any changes I make on a proven combination.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Mine used to creep up to around 215 at low rpms with a flex fan. I started trying some things to cool it off. I have a stock type 4 row radiator, a 17 inch thin SPAL electric fan and an Edelbrock water pump. I have been changing my coolant mix also. In the winter I add a gallon of anti-freeze and in the summer I drain a gallon out and put in a gallon of distilled water. With this setup I can ease it around in the 110 degree Texas heat and it will not get up over around 205. The SPAL fan works hard to keep it cooled off though. I've tried water wetter in it and that works good with the summer mix but I don't have any in there right now.

I recently converted it to a Moroso electric water pump drive for the drag strip but I wouldn't do that for a street car. I will at some point pick out one of those aluminum radiators and put that on it to make it easier to cool down at the race track between runs. If you haven't already got a new radiator it would be best to get one of these up front. Even though they are more expensive they really work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts