Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When installing new rod-bolts, the rod end should be resized. When this is done, is it then neccesary to step up to a 0.010" oversize rod bearing?

Reason I ask is I have a set of stock rods with ARP rod bolts, and i remember a couple years ago the machine shop that installed the bolts machined the big ends to make them concentric again. But they never said anything about using an oversize bearing, and i never did..i used the std. bearing.

Now when I measure the big end, I notice it's 0.010" larger in inner diamter (comparing to a new scat rod)...

·
Registered
57 Posts
When they machine the rods they are actually reducing the size by cutting the caps. Then they re hone back to stock size. Oversize bearings pertains to the crank journal.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The big end should have been honed back to the standard diameter. I would install a bearing set, torque to spec, and then measure the I.D. of the bearing. Now you can compare that to the diameter of the rod pin of the crank. If its really out by .010 in. then I'd say the machinist made a mistake reworking the rods.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, that makes sense (cut the caps, then size back to stock)... I will torque to spec then recheck.

thx

·
Registered
148 Posts
What engine are you working on? If it is a 351W I have machined those rods to 351C size (aprox .010 over) to take advantage of the available extra clearance CL77 bearing for the Cleveland. You might look up the bearing you had in it and see if that was the case.
If they are .010 over and you resize them back to stock bore they will be a little shorter so be sure to compensate for the loss in length.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts