Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm converting to the 3G type alternator and had a wiring related question.

Below is the diagram that's been shared several times here on the forum illustrating the new wiring that's required for the conversion.

My question is "is it possible to run to yellow wire coming from the 'A' terminal directly to the 'B+' terminal rather than to the starter solenoid?"

I'm thinking this would make for a cleaner installation, but I'm sure there's something I'm overlooking.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- RBR

Attachments

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
You can. The small yellow wire is usually wired to the solenoid for voltage sensing purposes. It allows the alternator to compensate properly for loads. That being said, lots of people hook it up the way you are describing with no ill effects.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I did the same when i alternator'ed my ole '50 Chebby 6100....

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
True, you can usually get away with it, as the alternator is powerful and the connections are fresh. The effect is that you will see slightly less charging voltage output. Originally, the output went through fusible link wires to protect the system, and couldn't get an accurate reading from the alternator stud. You should also be running fusible link wires or a high-amp fuse as later models did.

I'm sure Ford would have done it your way if it were not considered necessary. Ford ran it as a separate wire for reasons, and that's both for accurate voltage reading, and to keep the regulator from rapidly swinging from higher to lower voltage and back (voltage ripple), which is minor when fresh, but gets increasingly worse (overworking the regulator and bad for any electronics) as connections and cables get older. Considering how simple it is to run the wire right along the B+ cable, why not?

David

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the replies.

I knew that there had to have been a reason and now I know why!

It's been a long couple of months, but I'm getting close to getting my '63 Wagon back on the road.

I'll post up a few pics when she's back together and some of the grime has been wiped away.

This site (and it's members) are such great resources.

Thank you again.

- RBR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts