Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

In rebuilding the top half of our 66 390, my dad and I managed to break the oil dipstick tube clean off.

We're wondering what can be done to remedy the situation? We thought like a contact cement (JB Weld type stuff) or maybe threading the broken piece and the block receptor and screwing it in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Untitled
by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

Untitled
by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
3,811 Posts
The Mustang one should be the same, but you'd want to do a fill with 6 quarts, start it and see if the FULL mark is correct. Or just hold it up to the old one LOL

I wouldn't solder that piece, it won't hold IMHO, but I wouldn't hesitate to clean it up and weld it if I was in a hurry

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hello,

If you cannot find a replacement, then you could always just make a new one.

I had a similar problem but also needed to modify the dipstick to clear the headers, but the old one, just like yours also broke.

You can use 3/8 fuel line to make a new one. Instead of the swaged flare partially up to stop the tube from going in to far, you can use the die body of a flare or inverted flare tool to compress the tube diameter to fit in the depth that is necessary. A 3/8" tube is slightly larger than the hole in the block.

I drilled out the resistance welds in the old bracket and just tacked the old bracket onto the new tube. Just keep in mind if you make a new tube with an offset, keep the linear distance the same so the dipstick registers the oil level in the same height in the oil pan. But if you're copying the old tube it's a no brainer. I know the new one looks longer in my picture however it is just optical trickery of the camera.

Easy Peasy....

Cheers..

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Wow, that is expensive.
I just make my own dipstick tube out of a piece of steel fuel line. Normally costs about $3.50

I think Scott Drake sells tube and dipstick for $30 or so. Might want to check that out too.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
two options come to mind. Use a tap and try to thread the inside of the tube. Use a slide hammer to pull it out. Try using a slide hammer with a screw end, but that might expand the stubb and tighten it. Third, push it through and let it fall into the pan. It will not harm anything, and may come out during an oil change. To replace, buy a new tube, or use the old tube to measure a replacement. With careful heating, you can build the stop shoulder into the tube. Or you can use a spring lock washer and braze it to make a stop. Keep in mind, that the tube should have a stabilizer tabe welded to it to bolt it to the block and stop vibration, which fractures tubes.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
If you solder it and it breaks again, what's the worst that could happen?

·
Registered
996 Posts
If you solder it and it breaks again, what's the worst that could happen?
You get a dingal ball from the solder in the pan, it gets in the oil pump and sticks the relief valve open, bad pump, mains and crank just that fast.

I have seen it happen, the guy had fixed a valve cover without removing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts