Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am getting ready to start building a ford asphalt circle track car for the hobby stock class. I am currently racing a 1980 chevy malibu but I am a die hard FORD guy but I am having a very hard time getting any info on what is the best car to start with sense fords are un heard of around here for circle track racing. I am going to run in the hobby stock class its a fairly high banked 3/8 mile asphalt track. I was gonna see what your guys opinions where on what make and model car is the best to start with? I have a 1965 ford galaxie 2 door hard top But I did not no if it would be worth starting with. I have been told to go with a 1983-86 thunderbird But I am concerned on how the unibody/foxbody will hold up? I have also been told to go with a crown vic/ltd But that seems like a very big and heavy car to be going up against monty carlos. If you guys have any info please let me no Thanks.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The mid 80s LTDs, Crown Vics, Lincolns, and Grand Marquies are about on par with your current Malibu. The vast majority of those cars came with 302 V8 motors and are an easy swap over to a 351 Winsor (or if you really want to spank the chevy boys a 351 Cleveland). If you can score a Fox body for a good price there is more than enough aftermarket support for those cars and can hold up quite well so long as you aren't trading paint.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about a 351 cleveland. I have some 4v closed chamberd heads I would like to try but I am limited to a 2 barrel carb. I have never tried to adapt a 2 barrel carb on a 4v cleveland to see if it would even perform right. I have tried to find a set of aussie heads but cant seem to find any.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Crown Victorias from the 80s is a good platform to build on. The frames are solid and they have a decent suspension that will take some beating. The frame behind the rear axle should be boxed to add some support though. If it is allowed I would use a Crown Victoria frame and cut it down and put a fox body T-Bird body on it. Starting with a unibody car isn't bad if the rules allow you to add enough stiffness by tying the car together with the cage. I have seen quite a few Camaros run on asphalt tracks. I would definitely run the Cleveland engine. Two barrel carb or not. You cannot beat the air flow that the factory heads and intake give you. If someone tells you the 4V ports are too big don't believe them. You will not run that engine under 3500 rpm if it is geared right. You can adapt a two barrel to the factory 4V intake. You will have to modify the intake to open it up to make it work. Get a good carb guy to set the carb up for your engine. It will make all the difference.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
The late 70's Fox body cars were super lightweight. Had a fairmont Futura at one point, 250-six, C4, "fully loaded" (for a futura...LOL) and it was 2626 on the scrap yard scale. With me in it. IT is unibody though, but longer wheel base than a Mustang. All Mustang stuff bolts on for the most part. Front suspension is pretty sorry though. Rear suspension is..OK. Those two characteristics also cover all of the LTD II's, Thunderbirds up to '89, Zephyrs, Capri's, and a few others I can't think of (they were all fox body cars).

THe cleveland woudl work..and the intake ports will flow plenty. However, the exhausts still suck. Typical of Ford heads. 4V cleveland heads can be used with 2V intakes. There are also probably some aftermarket circle track specific 2V carb intakes that are set up to work with the 4V heads. Thought I saw some odd looking 4V cleveland intake at a swap meet last week but it had a 2V top. Said 4V c on the price tag and also said $450. Don't know who made it or what it was for, as it did not spark any of my interest since that is not what I know. And the price was a turn off too.

Some digging around and you'll find stuff that will bend the rules just enough to be legal, but also just enough to get the rules changed if you are dominating the class ;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I suggest aquiring a rule book for the division your going to race in. Most places have fairly or rather unfairly factored out the Fords being able to compete in favor of Chevys. Road racing not as much so.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I suggest aquiring a rule book for the division your going to race in. Most places have fairly or rather unfairly factored out the Fords being able to compete in favor of Chevys. Road racing not as much so.
yes , best to have the tracks rule book
most tracks ban the Cleveland ..both 2V and 4V

put 2V on a 351W block and use a W intake . they will not know what it is with plain V/C's

there is a aluminum 2V W oem intake

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I couldent believe it but I came across a 1971-73 mustang coupe yesterday set up for circle track nothing fancy at all but has possible potential. It has a decent cage and It has never been on the track so the body is perfect. Kinda a shame they turned it into a race car. I have not got a chance to look at it yet to see if they have any aftermarket suspension. It is set up for small block with c4. The guy is a mopar racer and just said he would like to see someone that loves fords to finish it and race it. He only wants $350 for it. I know its prolly not the best platform to start with but it might have to do until I find me a 80's crown vic to mess with. So far the rules at my track dont put the hurtin on fords to bad everyone just runs chevys cause of the availabilty and how cheap they are to run
. But they told me to be looking forward for them to outlaw the cleveland lol But as of now its legal.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Well I couldent believe it but I came across a 1971-73 mustang coupe yesterday set up for circle track nothing fancy at all but has possible potential. It has a decent cage and It has never been on the track so the body is perfect. Kinda a shame they turned it into a race car. I have not got a chance to look at it yet to see if they have any aftermarket suspension. It is set up for small block with c4. The guy is a mopar racer and just said he would like to see someone that loves fords to finish it and race it. He only wants $350 for it. I know its prolly not the best platform to start with but it might have to do until I find me a 80's crown vic to mess with. So far the rules at my track dont put the hurtin on fords to bad everyone just runs chevys cause of the availabilty and how cheap they are to run
. But they told me to be looking forward for them to outlaw the cleveland lol But as of now its legal.
thats why you run a W block and C heads with a W intake
they wont know what is

·
Registered
674 Posts
I set up my 87 Grand Marquis street / road race. Havent had it on a road course yet. Wringing it out a bit did a few autocrosses. Last trip bettered a Boxter, 380Z and an M3 between 4 and 5 seconds. Possibly know were you could find one. Built won whith a chevy engine. Sectioned the frame stock car upper lower control arms and on. Bairly coud tell it was a 85 CV frame. It was a killer set up.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I set up my 87 Grand Marquis street / road race. Havent had it on a road course yet. Wringing it out a bit did a few autocrosses. Last trip bettered a Boxter, 380Z and an M3 between 4 and 5 seconds. Possibly know were you could find one. Built won whith a chevy engine. Sectioned the frame stock car upper lower control arms and on. Bairly coud tell it was a 85 CV frame. It was a killer set up.
one thing that not said by OP , skill level and money to build

·
Registered
28 Posts
yes , best to have the tracks rule book
most tracks ban the Cleveland ..both 2V and 4V

put 2V on a 351W block and use a W intake . they will not know what it is with plain V/C's

there is a aluminum 2V W oem intake

Just out of curiosity, what is their justification for banning the Cleveland? Can't be displacement I assume.

I have 351C with a 4V so I'm interested in the topic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well I looked at the 1971 mustang and I cant decide if It is worth messing with everyone around here dont like the mustangs for circle track because of not being a full frame car. But the subframe was in good shape it had an excellent body but the floor boads where pretty bad but I was planning on putting a lil thicker floor in for protection and to help stregthen it up so that aint a big deal. Its has a decent cage in it. It seems to me that you could buy some subframe connectors and weld a few braces from the roll cage to the subframe and stiffin the subframe platform up. I would prefer a full frame car but It might be worth playing with for the money and how close it is ready to race So It would give me more time to build my 1965 galaxie or find a crown vic frame to start with. There is some guys that run the 1971-73 mustangs but I have not got a chance to see what they have done to them and why they like them but they are very fast on the dirt. I think they run the clevor engines. I have been looking into building a 351 clevor engine sense I have everything to build one but rules say must run cast iron intakes. So I might just be building a cleveland.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there, I am hoping that someone can help us. My husband built a 84 Ford Thunderbird for asphalt hobby stock class but is having a heck of a time with the set up. His tires do nothing but spin, has no traction and literally goes sideways in the corners. With the class he can't add weight so he has messed with the offset of the car, has tried hard and softer tires, but nothing seems to be helping. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hello. You said he can't add weight. Does he know what the weight distribution is presently?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts