Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question/problem relating to my 331 head choice. The engine is going into my 65 Cyclone. I posted a couple of questions over the weekend on the stroker board, but it occurred to me that may not be the best place to get my questions answered, since most of the posts seem to be related to the engine and its reciprocating parts.

So...I'll put the same questions here on the general tech board to see if anyone can help. This is my post from the weekend:
"After 2+ years in the bodyshop, my 65 Cyclone is just about ready to haul home and be united with the 331 (66 289 block) I had built for it 4 years ago.

When my machinist and I were trying to pick the components that would go into the stroker build, I specifically told him to avoid any head that gives you spark plug access/interference heartburn. Finding headers to fit early Falcons/Comets is tough enough...I did not want the typical GT40 headaches.

So...He picked the then new Roush 180 iron heads.

Now, I'm reading that these heads will also interfere with the flanges on my Hedmann shorties. Has anyone had experience with Hedmanns and Roush 180s? What plugs did you chose?

Thanks for your help! "<!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
398 Posts
now Im not 100% sure here. those roush heads are world product windsor Jr.s. the spark plug is located closer to the exhaust port and can be a issue with headers on your car.. some headers have the flanges cut for plug clearance but the tubes may be pretty close the the spark plug boot... kinda a similar issue as if you ran a gt40P head...

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
If they are like the Windsor Sr.'s I trail fitted a set of Hedmann shorties. The passenger(right) header works with no spark plug interference. The drivers side flange can be ground away in a few spots and made to work good. I tried a set of Patriot long tubes and after beating the holey crap out of them, I finally broke down and bought a set from FPA.
Anyone need a set of Patriot headers with a few dings on the left header.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Unfortunately I have no experience with Hedmann shorties, but I tried to run their longtubes on my Roush 200's. Passenger side was okay, driver's side the plug boot would rest on the tube and melt (even trying 45 deg boots and straight boots.)

I ended up with Hooker Super Comps and put the Hedmann's on my sister's stockish '68.

I wouldn't say the Roush heads are very difficult in terms of spark plug placement, but they're a little more finicky than stock heads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts