Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i'm a newb and from Australia... my first post, and the opening statement says it all

Anyway, I am looking at purchasing my first C4 transmission that will go through the intensive rebuild process.. I am hoping to do it all myself.

The C4 I have found is out of a 66 mustang. Now, the question I have for you guys is will this box be OK strength wise? will there be any problems with mods such as VB etc as I plan to run forward patern, full manual setup.

Sorry if this has been covered, I did a search, couldnt really find what I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Strength wise depends what you are going to put to it.Mild street use will be ok,race use would pay to update to a 70+ trans. The 66 has a one year only valvebody called a green dot which has 2 drive positions.If you are to mod the V.B you would prob have to get a 67-69 v.b.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Brisbane. If you phone around you should get a cheap core to rebuild.I get mine from a ford wrecker here at $55 each.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Greg's right about using the '70 and up 26 spline C4. The early ones will work but in my experience the weak link seems to be the planetary spline engagement with the output shaft splines,it's not if they will strip out but when.Better to use the later trans to begin with.

I just picked up a C4 from a junkyard '78 Granada for $35. How much in US $$ is $55 AU $$?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts