Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just rebuilt a 1970 351C with 2V open chamber heads and dropped it in my 1985 full-size Bronco. Man, what a nice motor!

The thing is, I'm really into Clevelands, so I'm already working on an upgrade. (I'll keep the other motor as a back-up.)

I have a D2AE-CA 4-bolt main block and a set of Australian 2V closed chamber heads. I'm looking to stroke this motor to somewhere in the 400 cubic inch range.

My questions are about the Aussie heads. I can't seem to find any good source of information on these babies. Does anything exist? Second, what were the stock valve sizes for these heads?

I guess I ultimately want to know what would be the performace upgrades specific to the Aussie heads that I should go with to get the most out of them for mostly street, but a fair amount of off-road usage? Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The Aussie heads will have a slightly smaller combustion chamber than the American "Quench" heads ... What this will mean for you is this ...

Trying to stroke the thing with these heads will run you into a serious compression ratio problem (assuming the use of lat top pistons). I figure you will easily be in excess of 13:1 ... The quench heads handle high compression well, but I'm not sure they will handle 13:1 without race fuel. The use of dished pistons might get you around this problem

Also ... The smaller ports of the 2V heads might not benifit the 400 CI you want ... 4V heads could be put to use to feed those cubes better ... I think.

Valve size are same as American 2V heads.

My two cents

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 3/24/02 1:34am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 3/24/02 1:35am ]</font>

·
Registered
77 Posts
ClevelandSteve,
Take a look at the URL below. It is a buildup article for a stock cube 351C, but there's some pretty good info on the Aussie heads used on that engine. I think if you get the head work done referred to in the article, you'll probably drop your CR down to around 11:1 (with flattops), maybe a bit more, by polishing the chambers and opening them up to unshroud the valves. Chamber volume will probably be around 62-64 cc. Also, don't go too much bigger on the valves than stock; maybe 2.10 on intakes and 1.71 on exhausts. Those are the sizes I've got on my Aussie heads. From everything I've read and the people I've talked to, don't use 4V (2.19) intake valves. According to Engine Analyzer, they can make up to around 475-500 hp if reworked (porting, etc.) with the right engine pieces. I'm actually hoping to do the same thing and have started collecing parts: Scat 3.85 stroke crank is ordered, 6" SBC H-beam rods in-hand. Pistons will have to be custom made with a small reverse dome to keep CR down to streetable level...
Best wishes!
Scott

http://www.avalon.net/~spopham/perfectclevelandarticle.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts