Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the distance from their fan to the radiator. I am wondering if the fan is closer to radiator will that cool better because of drawing more air through???
my 7 litre distance is 1-3/4” to radiator and the fan is about 2/5ths into the shroud. Wondering if I get a spacer that is 3/4” longer, putting my fan closer to radiator will that cool better? That would make my fan 3/4 into shroud. Just a mental exercise right now!

JIM

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dont want to be closer than 1" to the radiator, its a trade off as the closer it is, the more likely it can come in contact with the fins/tubes. Too far away and it sucks air around the radiator, rather than through it.

Also in a Galaxie the fan is on an angle compared to the radiator, so it will be closer to the radiator at the bottom vs the top, due to the angle of the engine.

Ideally the fan should be half in/half out of the shroud, 2/5ths is pretty close.

Main thing to avoid is gaps between the fan and the shroud as it will suck air through the gap rather than through the radiator, closer the better, but shouldn't be closer than 3/4" away.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
It's possible the fan is sucking some air around from the back. Moving the fan in might stop some of that but adding an inch around the backside of the shroud would be even better.

On the other hand, if either of those ideas really worked it seems Ford would have done it that way.

Reactions: extech

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since we are on a fan topic , I installed a c8 five blade fan for upgraded cooling. It never run hot and I have an electric fan in front of the radiator as a pusher just in case . I Just got off the Dyno showing 315 rwhp at 6100 rpm with my original 289 . Would I benefit HP from a hi-po 4 blade fan ? Or a flex fan ( don’t like that noise from past flex fans )? I think I read someone picking up 22 hp going electric fans only?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Anyone know the distance from their fan to the radiator. I am wondering if the fan is closer to radiator will that cool better because of drawing more air through???
my 7 litre distance is 1-3/4” to radiator and the fan is about 2/5ths into the shroud. Wondering if I get a spacer that is 3/4” longer, putting my fan closer to radiator will that cool better? That would make my fan 3/4 into shroud. Just a mental exercise right now!

JIM
Distance isn't as important as the depth of the fan in a good shroud 3/8--- to---1/2 inch and tip clearance 1/2 inch

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone know the distance from their fan to the radiator. I am wondering if the fan is closer to Tutuapp 9Apps radiator will that cool better because of drawing more air through???

JIM
it should be mentioned in the manual for what I know

1 - 12 of 12 Posts