Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have some questions about project 11.99 back when it was running mid 13s.I read that you changed the cam from a Comp 270 to a Erson Roller with almost identical specs,same lift(512) and only 2 degrees more dur(224-226)I assume this had little improvement?Also your ram air ducting where does it pick up the air?It says there was little difference between the edelbrock rpm,victor jr or the wieand Xcellerator other than mph..Was it much mph? Ihave the Xcellerator and wondered how it compared to the other intakes.I am also assuming that changing from McCrearys to Street Et's dropped your 60fts from 1.80s to 1.67 is this right or did you change anything else to lower your 60 fts.Thanks I know its alot of questions but I'm struggling to make that step from mid 13s to a 12.99 and want to know what all I should change.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
frdnut,
Let me see if I can remember the progression
it was so long ago.

Actually, you can go to my old personal website http://www.geocities.com/casaravala/
and in the "drag page" there is a log of all that I did from day one.

But, besides that. When I first did the roller cam the gains were not that much. I think it did gain a tenth or so (from 13.0's to 12.90's) but that was with a victor jr.

We swapped to the xcelerator because we felt the vic jr was too large and not taking advantage of the additional low-mid range torque from the new roller cam.

Swapping to the xcelerator brought the car to 12.70's, dropped the 60ft a tenth (1.70's to 1.60's). All in all the smaller volume and runners of the xcelerator were just a better match for the ported 289 heads and low 9:1 compression of the motor.

In a nutshell, if you are mid 13's now... what are your 60ft times? That is probably the first place to look for improvement.

hope that helps some.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help.I wish I would have been around a couple of years ago when you were building this thing.Its neat looking through your old timeslips theres some that are identical to mine , even down to the jets you were running!You might find my post about camshaft selection interesting.Feel free to offer your two cents as it looks like you've been through it already.My 60fts are in the 2.0s with G-60-15McCreary's and slapper bars.I added 3-way adjustable CE drag shocks this summer but they didn't help(I wasn't able to try different settings)my 60fts slowed a little with them as I had a best of 1.97 the previous time out.The car is somewhat hard to launch now 3500 rpm or lower it bogs and 4000 is too much for the tires so its a very fine line.I have the carb sealed to the hoodscoop now so I hope to pickup a gain like you did with your ram-air but I don't know if its as efficient as yours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts