Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Questions on 351w build

18K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  KrystyonWayne 
#1 ·
I traded my falcon I had for an 82 Mustang GT that had a 351w in it. The kid lost bearing messed up crank and took chunks out of bottom of cylinder walls. Guessing that block is **** now. I have another engine that I am going to be getting looked at and checked out to see if useable. The car ran in the 11s I was told but can't verify. The engine had windsor jr heads on it with comp 1.6 rockers and springs set up for comp 35-250-4 cam and a vic jr intake. Has 4.10 8.8 in the rear and a c4 tranny.

Questions are....

1. Since engine is being rebuilt should I stroke it out to 393 or leave it stock?
2. If build back to stock should I use the heads as they are or should I have them ported?
3. If I go stroker (I am on a budget) would the heads be good the way they are?
4. I need to run on pump gas so how much dish would I need on pistons?

#2 ·
It really depends what you want and the budget

A good rebuild on the 351 with the Windsor Jr heads will be a strong runner, but not pull as hard on top as you'd expect. The heads just don't flow enough. However, if you built it with a set of .030 forged pistons, good rods, stock stroke at 357 cid, I'd run between 10-10.5:1 compression with 10.25 being a sweet spot for me with the Windsor Jrs, it'd be a stout 357. Zero deck I'd guess 12 cc on the dish, but you'd have to do some calculating with the head gasket and exact pistons you chooose

If you are going to go stroker, it'll make more torque, but the heads will limit the peaks significantly, still way better than a stock head, but not enough for a deep breathing stroker. Same target for compression with a 408, but would certainly take a lot more dish in the piston. Zero deck I'd guess 22 cc on the dish, but same deal, you'd have to do some calculating with the head gasket and exact pistons you choose. In this case I think the heads would quickly show their limits though

As far as porting, in either case, porting will help significantly, the Windsor Jr could likely gain 50 cfm with a good port and valve job.

#3 ·
Main reason looking at 393 if I chose to stroke it is budget. I have a block and I have the stronger truck rods already. Was thinking that would leave a set of pistons and a stroker crank to by and then balance and machine work, assemble and go.

l am just making a street car that may see the track every now and then so I don't really expect to spin the engine above 6500 max ever. Shifting will probably be set at 6000. I think the truck rods would handle that if put ARP bolts in them.

If just do a rebuild at .03 over with hypereutectic pistons stock truck rods what can I expect out of this combination?

#4 ·
I have a block to send off and get checked out. If it is useable then i will just build it to 357 and work from there. I will be getting subframe connectors put in soon. Gas i think is usually 92 maybe 93 but its limited around here. The heads will be getting checked out at same time as the block. I was told had springs swapped to match the cam so i will have those checked out also. Do i need the forged rods if i used the truck rods with arp bolts? As far as cam if i swap to roller and retrofit this block then what cam suggestions do you have?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.