Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting to the end of my fastback reconstruction...run into some problems. Here goes-

Where does the cable from the negative terminal of the battery go? Just bolt it anywhere on the engine? Where is the proper place to ground it?

And, just dropped the engine in. The shock absorbers that mount inside of the spring-I was thinking that with the weight of the engine, it would compress the springs enough so they would be compressed and would seat properly...anyhow, they didn't. They poke through the hole about 1/4" but don't go through all the way. Shouldn't the weight of the engine put enough force to cause them to flush against the bottom spring perch? Not sure if I described it well enough...

Anyhow, any help is appreciated! Thank you

Chris

·
Registered
146 Posts
As for the negitive battery cable, I grounded mine to a bolt on the front passenger side of the engine block, just a little bit above the oil pan. In regards to your other question, I wasnt sure if you had a problem with the spring or the shock, hopefully you can clairify. I hope this helps some.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
The negative battery should go to a large bolt on the frame, and to the block. Dont forget the frame or you will be having all kinds of weird electrical problems. Make sure to use lare wire also, I would recommand #2 guage or larger wire. In the case of ground wire, bigger is better.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My battery is in the trunk but the concept is still the same. I ground the battery to the frame and ground the frame and the engine to each other.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Both Chassis and Engine must be grounded either directly from battery or in series ... grounds MUST be clean and good ... otherwise (as said before) a bunch of wierd stuff may happen. Without a good ground the electricity will seek a ground on it's own (where ever it can)... not a happy thing for you to deal with.

As for the spring in the perch ... Drive it for a while on a real bumpy road ... then check the seating of the spring ... weight alone won't do it ... need some "vibration" to get things to move.

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 12/29/01 1:16pm ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts