Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the 98 Mustangs governed at? I have someone telling me a story about doing 160 in one, and I know they don't go that fast in stock form.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
The Ford ECM usually shuts them down at 110 mph. I tried it in a 98 Mountaineer. It was still going until I hit 110. I was reading about the 99 Cobra in a past issue of Car Craft and they said that the car pulled well hard past 140. So I guess it is possible. The only problem is having enough power to go that fast. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I want to think that the 01 stops at 150....or somewhere....that may be TOP SPEED THOUGH...lemme call my older brother at work really quick! well, I will post later, he is at work, and cant talk...so I will get back on that to you guys!!

Jeff Given

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I heard that the top speed governor is set by the speed rating of the tires that come on the car from the factory?? If you look at ratings for tires (H,Z,etc.) you'll probably find the speed limited to or below the maximum tire speed rating.

I had a Camaro Z-28 convertable and everyone said it was governed to 102 MPH because it was a ragtop.....Well, it was still pulling like HELL at 135 when I chickened out!!! It came with "Z" rated tires from the factory.

Cobrajack

PS: The Cobra pulls like HELL at the same speed in 4th....They didn't have speed rated tires back then, just big ole BALLS!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts