Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a local engine builder the other day and he said that when building a 331 stroker motor that it is best to use a roller block. he said that everything fits better. I can't see anything fitting better as they are basically the same thing. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think I would locate a more reasonable engine builder that would state facts to back up their theory. I went with a roller block for my 331 but I wanted to use a roller cam and just figured it would be easier than modifying the block or using expensive link bar lifters.

·
Registered
991 Posts
he's a clueless ford engine builder, but most engine builders are. 98% are chevy shops in disguise

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I asked and he said that you could use any block that you wanted, But he mentioned the roller block is better because it uses a 1 piece crank (this is for a 331 stroker), And something about the rods being to short/not fitting properly without having to do machine work. I think that is how I understood it. However, I don't understand the 1 piece crank idea... Aren't they all 1 piece? I personally wouldn't mind going with a roller block because of the roller cam... Cheap horespower, And I wouldn't have to worry about a cam lobe going flat on startup like my last one did. Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BLACK65FORDFALCON on 7/8/06 5:36am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
He's probably referring to a one piece rear main seal which all the roller blocks have. I'd find another shop though as that guy doesn't sound too knowledgeable about Ford motors.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Unless ford cut back on the cylinder skirts to save metal (and I think they only did that on deck surface and main webbing) There woudn't be any difference as far as fitting the rods in there.

The most common point that requires clearanceing on a stroker ford smallblock is the bottom of the cylinder skirts - the rod bolts contact them unless there is a slight notch made. As far as I know, this applies to every production 302/5.0L/289 block ever cast.

A roller would net you some power - but like everyone has said, how knowledgable can he be about the other Ford basics if he missed the first one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts