Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am wanting to put a new shifter in my Fairlane it is a 63 with a 64 tranny,thats about all I could get out of the numbers on the tranny except that it is a 28 spline wide ratio. Any suggestions on a good,short throw,quick shifting,shifter? It has an old Mr. Gasket on it from when it was set up back in the day....Thanks

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
My personal favorite when I had a stick car was the "Vertical Gate", man with practice, you can throw some mean shifts!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I second the motion on the Vertigate, almost impossible to miss shifts. One hitch though, you will modt likely have to cut a notch in your tranny tunnel for it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tunnel is notched already and interior is out because of the paint job so now seemed to be the time to do it in case I have to make more modifications...who makes that shifter? once upon a time I thought I seen something about a straight pattern shifter,but can not find any info on one now.Is this it? And most of them seem to have a straight column,I need one that curves back,may just have to modify one

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: highpockets on 5/20/02 1:13pm ]</font>

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hurst, I bought one through Summit a while ago, also remember to budget in money for new hardware as Mr. Gasket hardware (nuts and bolts) is total poo I'm not saying hardware for EVERYTHING but just the mounting kit oh yeah and the boot seemed to tear while I installed it right around the reverse lever, I'm thinking it's more how it's installed in my truck than anything since I think it's at more of an angle than it was designed for...

HUU-1141653 Hurst V-Gate 2 Shifter Boot and Plate Kits $45.39 1 $45.39

HUU-3738171 INSTALLATION KIT $89.95 1 $89.95

HUU-4118156 Hurst V-Gate 2 In-Line Shifter $159.95 1 $159.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts Total: $295.29

Handling Charge: $6.95

2nd Day Air Flat Fee: $7.95

Total Order: $310.19

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you would think FE427 knew me,cause I am so slow you usually have to draw me a picture before I understand
Thanks for the info. So the Vgate is better than the Super/Shifter 3 ? I seen it in the Jegs catalog,claims to be the top of the line drag racing shifter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: highpockets on 5/21/02 12:59pm ]</font>

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so how does the V gate work? The Hurst site did not give much info. It is an inline pattern instead of an H? How do the detents or stops work? They dont even have a pic of it. Where is reverse and does it have a lockout...Thanks for any info you can give

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The shifting of a "V-Gate" is inline. You hold the "T" up for shift from 1st and 2nd gear. You release it, then shift straight ahead, as hard as you want, for third then straight back for fourth.
Be warned though, I have shifted so hard and fast that I did pop it back into 1st (kissed the steering wheel REAL good, got caps to prove it
).
Fred

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Verti-Gate shifters are a pain in the butt on the street. If you do much road driving at all, you'll get tired of it pretty quick. A guy around here bought one for his car (had to cut a HUGE hole in his floor) then quickly got tired of it and traded it to me for an old dual point distributer. He then patched his floor and bought a Hurst Competition Plus ... which happens to be what I use in the mustang. It works great, and I don't see myself switching to the Verti-Gate, even though there's a brand new one sitting on the shelf.

Maybe one of these days if I ever have a dedicated drag car, but for now, the Hurst Competition Plus has a stable home.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I have a hurst competetion plus in my 68 mustang.The throws on the shifter were quite long,actually longer than the stock ford shifter.What I did was combine the two.I used the short arms that attach to the transmission (the shorter the arm the shorter the throw)and used the hurst linkage and shifter.The shifter now shifts like a hurst super shifter without having to cut up the floor.The only draw back with the short throws is increased effort to shift(because you lose leverage with the shorter arms)but this isn't really a problem,especially if you like to shift hard

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have used the "V" gate shifter in a 66 Fairlane, and N20mike is correct, it is not for daily city driveing, but works awsumme for banging gears.

·
Registered
127 Posts
As with everything it's a matter of what you consider streetable, I run mine in stop and go traffic all the time where I get to go up to third just in time to go back to first. All in all for daily driving the other shifter is probably better because you dont have to pull up on the lever to downshift for second and first every time. Also there is no reverse light provision on the shifter unless I dont know about it yet

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I grew up there, went to 12 years of school in Washougal. I used to know a few folks who raced ford trucks in the local sand drags in the industrial park before ADS, and Fiberweb ( or what ever they are calling it now ) moved in, and the one guy had 427`s in just about everything he owned, it was so cool.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey,thanks for the input guys. This is not my daily driver,just a weekend toy soon to be powered by a 427 stroker,not a race car just a cruiser,..but.. ya know how it is every now and then you have the need to use all ya got and the 427 wont do me a bit of good if it take to long to make the changes. And something different from the norm would be nice. Thanks again for the pros and cons. Do you have to actually hold the lever up while shifting?

·
Registered
127 Posts
On 2002-05-22 01:46, highpockets wrote:
And something different from the norm would be nice. Thanks again for the pros and cons. Do you have to actually hold the lever up while shifting?
Yeah for first and second gear you always do, but it's close enough to the T-handle you dont really notice it. you just get in the habit of it

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
There's a little lever right down below the shift handle with two finger holes in it. You pull up on this lever when DOWNSHIFTING into first and second gear.

If you are at a stop, you simply pull up on the lever and put the trans in first gear and let go. ALL UPSHIFTS are made without touching the lever. The shifter doesn't even get moved to the side to access 3rd and 4th gear.... it's just moved forward and back. There's NO sideways movement.

It's pretty fun, but the novelty of the thing wears off pretty quick with much 'city' driving.
It would be fine for the track.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pretty cool,I didnt figure they would make a competition shifter that you actually had to hold up a lever while shifting. Sounds like something I would be interested in. I drive semi for a living,have to move air shifter buttons constantly to make shifts,so simply pulling up a lever for a downshift would not bother me at all. I appeciate all the info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts