Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get an oil pan off once you get all of the bolts out? I have tried pulling, pushing, tapping w/ a hammer and a piece of wood. Is there an easy place to pry on? When I put it on I used a lot of RTV and it is not wanting to come off. Any help would be great, it is 40 degrees outside and the wind isn't helping, I don't want to spend to much time outside.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
What are you trying to get the oild pan out of? Car? Model? Engine?

Sometimes you have to disconnect the mounts and raise the motor and at the same time unbolt the oil pump. Some vehicles you have to pull the engine.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Try a flat tipped screw driver. One with a small and sharp head. Put it in between the block and pan. Then gently tap with a hammer. Once you get it started, you can usually just put in the screw driver and twist and work your way around. Hope this helps. It is also 40 degrees here and wind. And all the locals are outside soaking up the heat and sun.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just strokin - It is in a 66 stang
I removed all of the crap underneath in the way, I just can't break the silicon. I will try the screwdriver thing, I just didn"t want to mess up the pan.
Thanks for the replies
chris

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Those pans are hard to get at from the side and rear, you may want to pull your belts off and remove your balancer to get at the front of the pan with your small screw driver. Also you will have to disconnect you motor mounts and jack the motor up to get the pan out. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure I have to pull the mounts and lift the motor? The only thing left under the pan is the steering linkage. The pump and the pickup are in the front, so shouldn't it come out, or at least lower enough to get to the pump bolts then drop the pump then pull it out?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
It might sound silly but make sure you have removed all of the bolts.The ones that clamp the pan to the block right at the front and rear seals are easy to miss.There are two at the front and two at the back and they can get buried under grease they are a slightly bigger size so you should remember if you took them out. Just give the pan a whack with a rubber hammer on the side near the bottom of pan and it should break loose

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
yeah make sure all the bolts are removed, then take a thin spackle spreader type tool and wedge it between the pan and block and work it around, eventually it will break the seal. Also, take a rubber mallet and whack the side of the pan.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You dont have to pull the engine! Just remove the crossmember and one side off the drag link and swing it arond. Hit it with a hammer and it will fall out the bottom. I have dunn this on my 66 more than once.

1966 Mustang Hipo 289 4speed 4.11 pose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts