Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about upgrading the exhaust on my 1968 Cougar. When the time comes, it will have a moderately built 302 (with headers and dual 2.5 inch exhaust).

I'd like some mufflers that MAXIMIZE PERFORMANCE but are reasonably quiet as well. I enjoy the thoaty sound of turbo mufflers but my car is bone stock on the outside and I like to keep it looking like a sleeper. I don't want the exhaust giving away whats under the hood but I don't want it to compromise performance either. Any ideas???

·
Registered
359 Posts
flowmaster makes some 3 chambers like the 50 series, they are pretty quiet at least by my standards. what they sound like all depends on what is in front of them, obviously cats will be quieter than no cats

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had three chamber flowmasters on a 95gt with no cats. I did have tailpipes though. But they aren't quiet. Quieter than the two chambers but no quiet enough to make it the sleeper sound.
A buddy of mine has Edelbrock Performer RPM's on his Camaro. At idle and at cruising speeds it has a deep turbo sound to it. But under full throttle blasts it sounds real good. Nice deep loud tone. Better than a turbo though. But nothing near as loud as a flowmaster.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I like the DynoMax. Has a mellow throaty sound but not to loud.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I've got the Dynomax Super Turbo Hemi's in my Bronco. They are just like the regular super turbos, except they have a 20" long body instead of a 16" long one. They are a little quieter than the normal super turbos, and I don't think they are any more restrictive. I've seen muffler shootouts where the super turbo designs made just as much power as the 'more free flowing' flowmasters. My only complaint is that they are about 4 years old now and starting to show their age. You can see carbon buildup on some of the seams where they leak a little bit. I can't hear the leaks yet, but I'm just waiting for them to blow out...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone used the Aero muffler from Flowtech? They are high flow and some shootouts indicated they were slightly quieter than Flowmasters.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I am using a set of flowtech afterburners on my 68 stang.They have a nice muscle car sound but aren't real loud until you stand on it,then they have a real nice deep tone.They were in a shootout in a magazine and were only 4hp less than open headers so they flow very well.Nice little rumble without being obnoxious.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Hey F-nut, sorry I couldn't resist. Do the afterburners bring any drone into the cab? Do you also have a crossover of some type? I'm curious because I have two Afterburner mufflers sitting in my garage waiting to go on. Their advertising says they don't resonate, but who knows if they're telling the truth or not. I hate drone at cruise rpm.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
PaleRider try those afterburners I think you'll like them.I get no drone or resonance inside the car.No I don't have a crossover or anything just straight 2.5 pipes from the headers going into 2.25 tailpipes over the rear end and straight out through GT valence.Inside the car with the windows up and just cruising through town I don't notice any difference from my old midas turbo style mufflers.Get on it though and it sounds awesome, sounds nice at idle too.They also don't have that sort of "snappy" sound that some of the old glasspack bullet mufflers have.Let me know how they sound on that big 460!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'll vouch for the Walker Dynomax mufflers too. They have a nice tone, and ain't too loud. Not anywhere near Flowmaster volume. Oh, and as a added bonus, they also won't sound like everyone else (i.e. Flowmasters...). I use them on everything. I used to like the Thrush mufflers, but they have a very short lifespan, and I don't think they really help the power much either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have seen the ravins. They are a chambered muffler as far as I can tell. The bodies are a good bit smaller than say a flowmaster. I haven't heard them though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have Ravin mufflers on my car they have a nice idle sound like a bigger cam. But if you floor it get's loud.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Several factors besides the muffler selection affects the quality and quantity of the sound.

Higher compression ratios will add a definite "edge" or "bite" to the exhaust note. Lower compression ratios may be only a little "quieter," but will have a "softer," less objectionable tone (unless you happen to like the more aggressive tone).

Crossover pipes, either H style or X style will smooth out and somewhat quiet the sound. X style is preferred both for quieting and max performance where it fits your chassis. You don't need to pay big bucks for an aftermarket X pipe section. Just take two 45 degree exhaust pipe sections and lay them back to back to form an X shape. Cut out a hole on both where they come together and weld the two together to form your own low-buck X pipe.

To reduce resonance, be sure to have a tail pipe coming out of each muffler, at least 12 inches long where possible. Be sure the exit goes a couple inches out from under the body. Rear exits will be heard less inside the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts