Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nitrous Oxide is a molecule consisting of two nitrogen atoms and one oxygen. It's chemical formula is N2O, not NOS.

NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems) is a company that is now owned by Holley. Their entry level kits (Powershot, Cheater, Sniper) are very cheaply made, and are far outclassed by the other companies'(Edelbrock, Nitrous Works, Compucar, Nitrous Express) entry level systems.

The "NOSS" crap is pure marketing. The ricers who flock around the movie "Fast and the Furious" are the ones who use this term all the time. Oh, by the way... Guess who was a MAJOR sponsor of that movie? That's right, the Holley corporation, owners of the brand name "NOS". The DVD even comes with Holley coupons.

Just had to vent... I feel better now.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, that's what my dad would say.
He used to deal with antique cars all the time... as in the 20's, 30's and 40's. He refers to 60's era automobiles as "modern".

He would just shake his head when I spent money to make the mustang faster.

He has a 29' Ford model A, a 34 Ford Phaeton, and a 35 Ford Cabriolet. Yes, the Cabriolet refers to a 2-door convertible with roll-up windows. It was NOT invented by Volkswagon. The 29' and 35' also have a rumble seat.

We used to travel in those cars all over the country. We live in West Virginia and travelled in them to various shows from Vermont to Charlotte on a regular basis. They used to have actual driving events back then. Mom almost rolled the 34 while dad was trying to keep an egg in a spoon around a course marked with pylons.
This was a LONG time ago... back when was between the age of zero and 16. I'm now 33.

Spare parts are a necessity when running those old vehicles very far. Fuel pumps are a real weak link with the early flatheads. Generators can be as well. Water pumps are a pain with the model A's... come to think of it, they are a pain with the early flatheads too.

None of the cars have been messed with at all for the last 15 years. Antique cars used to be a "poor man's" hobby until people with money got into it... Now the cars have just priced themselves out of the market. Plus, the "fun factor" is pretty much gone. Dad is now into Harley Davidsons and old WWII memorabelia.

We still have a garage full of parts though. We were never hurting for spares.

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/healey/367

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 1/19/02 8:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I ran nitrous on my turbo bikes in the 70's.

I never heard the term, "Naws" until my wife and I went and seen The Fast And Furious.

I agree with what was previously said about NOS.

It had always meant New Old Stock.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
It still means New Old Stock and I look for NOSS parts all the time on E-bay for my Falcon. I have always said nitrous when referring to nitrous and always will...well, except when I say juice, squeeze, "shot", snuff, nitro queeff, etc but mostly juice if I don't say nitrous. NOSSMike has a pretty good ring to it eh? NAH! I guess it doesn't

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, "NOSS" works. Forget the Mike part... NOSS is a phat f*ckin' punk azz, diggin' name! A guy in my posse' knows a hardcore hero with a VTEC Civic with 2 stages of NOSS' that swears his car will run 9's at the track. He just needs to slam some titanium bolts in his clutch to hold the power! Shut up, or I'll give him your number!

Nuff' said!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Again, don't want to get into a peepee match with anyone, but 5-6 years ago when I started putting together the NITROUS OXIDE system on my BBC in brand X SS 396 car, Nitrous Oxide Systems were the #1 company to contend with. Excellent kits, excellent service, excellent tech information, just an all around excellent company to deal with.
Now, granted, I haven't done the 'juice' stuff for the last 2 years or so, and possibly they, (NOS), has gone in the shitter after being purchased by Holley, I don't' know, and can't offer any food for thought there, all I can relate to and state is MY personal dealings with the company and their parts/kits.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
With a "user name" like yours I can see why you bring this up

It's like calling a thermal bottle a "Thermos"

Or calling a Camera a "Kodak" my dad did that one all the time (he was very old)

But what always gets me is the "Hot Water Heater" ... I can't imagine, If your water is hot ... Why would you need a heater for it

And those people that say the side walk is made of "Cement" ... When we all know, it's made of "Concrete" and cement is just one ingredient

I bet I never forget ... N2O again

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I always called it giggle gas, laughing gas, spray horsepower in a bottle, the great equalizer. Kids around here are the same way. "How much NOS ya got", I say it's a race car, my show car has som N.O.S. Get's old! Another thing, is it me or does EVERY Mustang supposed to be a Five Oh. That bugs me. I pull into a parking lot or a store to get a pop, nice five ohh, where's ya get that cool double wing, I want one for my five ohhh. Last weekend it was a poor devil in his daddy's Saleen. When it was over, believe me he understood the term SVO.

·
Registered
521 Posts
NOS = neat old stuff.. or new old stock or soemthing like that

n20 = juice for me
juice or spray.. thats how i say it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.