Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talking about the chipmunk that has lived in my garage I guess long before I came into the scene. This thing is so determined to be in there, that even when I ran him out and blocked his entryway with thin guage sheetmetal, he waited till I went in the house, and chewed right through from outside to inside and resumed his stay as per usual. Like secret passageways in a haunted house, he runs all over when I'm in there, and I only see quick glimpses of him. When I run him out (I have no idea how how he enters and exits) and work in the garage he sits in the trees and screeches at me like a teenager who's room is being violated. I have been at war with this thing since the beginning of September. I spent hours and risked falling to my death trimming all the trees anywhere near the garage, thinking it would help. When I first moved my stuff in there, he got into a box of mine and found my favorite Christmas tie. He hung it in the rafters. The 70+ year old man who lives next door is getting a lot of entertainment out of it, like some kind of comedy mini-series; "Ken Against the Wild Beast". I think he's betting on the Chipmunk. Well, I borrowed one of those humane traps from an animal control officer friend of mine, so any advice would be welcome. If this trap doesn't work, I'm gonna buy me a nicely optioned tactical shotgun. Little SOB!
I do have 3 cats with claws as well. I figure get them up on thier shots and let them have their way in my garage for a week. I probably would think it was cute if I didn't know how destructive those things can be. I'm afraid of what else he will steal, chew, piss on, and where he will make a nest. YUCK!!
I'm really worried that he is gonna find my 65 Galaxie tasty.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 10/18/06 9:11am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 10/18/06 9:12am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 10/31/06 8:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've been there. Good pellet gun is my vote, shotguns inside are LOUD. My dogs don't like cats and I'm a *******. The damage can cost a car or house, if they find the wiring to their liking.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
They like scrambled eggs.

We still have a mouse in the house here and now he avoids all 3 kinds of traps. Haven't tried a humane type one though. Discovered he was still here when the dog took off out of our bedroom cause he saw him run by to the other room. Sure hope when we move in Dec if he isn't caught he is left to an empty house. There's dog food under the washer and dryer and I just cleaned the stove and there was dog food (rather cooked) in the broiler under the stove. Explains that smell when the oven was on a few times at least.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, honestly all anger aside I don't want to kill it. I set the trap tonight and I catch myself constantly going out to peek in the window and see if I caught it. I will practice some restraint, and check on it tomorrow. Tempting it with peanut butter and some trail mix.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Chipmunks, squirrels...are a lot smarter than most people realize. Single minded in their pursuits and focused, determined when concerned about keep their territory.

You have a worthy adversary; since the quick battle was unsuccessful…time to settle in for a long, calculated siege. It’ll be that much sweeter when you finally catch him.

It's good to have a determined foe, makes life interesting!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have 6 cats o want to get rid of if you need them. Lol. we have more of a cat problem then a chipmunk problem. We used to have 2 cats. I came of the house the other day and there were 5 cats sitting on our van.

I would vote for the cats, but otherwise, try keep all the food inside cleaned up, and you will get him in the trap. Just make sure you let it out many miles away from your garage.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh wow, it looks like that thing is actually fighting back. I ran it out today and attatched a hose from my shop vac to the hole he used to get in and put the hose right at the entrance of the trap, sealed off so he either has to go back out the hose or in the trap. We'll see. When I do catch him, I'm gonna take him to the beach wilderness about 5 miles away from home, or better yet to the city I patrol. I figure I can dump him in one of the many abandoned houses out here.

·
Registered
848 Posts
i had a squirrel in the attic once. it had babies. i went and got the biggest glue traps i could find and set crackers in the middle. i caught all 5 of the bastards in one day.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
There's a vid on youtube of a squirrel jumping on the head of a deer attacking it to get it out of the bird seed under the bird feeders. Scared the patooties out of that deer and I laughed til I cried. It just happened so fast!!
Evil little rodents.

We've got mice cause of all the old houses torn down across from us and then the black widows are over abundant this year compared to previous. I hate those things! Not much longer and we'll be out of thier territory.

Deb

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far, the trap has sat for 2 days/nights with no results. I'm not hearing it in the garage either though, so I dont know. Maybe it got taken care of some other way. Until I'm convinced, the whole contraption will remain where it is.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
On 2006-10-18 07:44, Beoweolf wrote:
Chipmunks, squirrels...are a lot smarter than most people realize. Single minded in their pursuits and focused, determined when concerned about keep their territory.

You have a worthy adversary; since the quick battle was unsuccessful…time to settle in for a long, calculated siege. It’ll be that much sweeter when you finally catch him.

It's good to have a determined foe, makes life interesting!
Wild critters aren't smart. They survive on instinct. Fact: Squirels and chipmunks spend all fall gathering nuts and such but they never eat them because they don't remember where they hide them. You still see them scratching in the snow for food. A lot of people say Deer are smart, I say if they were so smart , they would stop and look both ways before crossing the road in front of vehicles.
My springer takes care of the mice and chipmunks around our house, the cat just gets fatter eating Meow mix. If I had my way the cat would be long gone. If you ain't got a good dog, then you're missing out. Git a gun. " wake up America"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retyler on 10/20/06 10:42am ]</font>

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I got attacked by a squirrel a few years ago....never really liked them anyway and that just made me dislike them even more.

Anyway...I have been told that a small bowl of coke will get rid of them. Supposedly they will drink it but they can't belch...and their stomach just gets full of gas and they starve. Supposedly works for rats, mice, squirrels, flying squirrels (which are cute....but I still don't like them) and probably other rodents as well. Never tried it, and it sounds stupid...but the guy that told me about it says he uses coke at the shop weekly to get rid of the mice.

I don't mind cats as long as their mine. I hate strays. They tear up everything it seems and they also piss my cats off and they'll fight through the windows in the middle of the night. I like to trap the strays (I live in the city...so can't kill them otherwise the neighbor kids will have a cow) and take them to my ex-gf's house. She loves cats. I hope she loves hundreds of them because at one time I was taking a couple a day for close to 4 months straight. Always turned them loose somewhere close to her place when she was at work.

·
Registered
991 Posts
My wife had a huge box of bite size candy left over from giving away to her clients, it was stored in my garage, hersheys, kit kats, snickers etc.. I would see this chipmunk running back and forth all day with 1 piece at a time, he would go into his hole he dug by my backdoor. 3 months of storing candy in the ground, that fat bastard wont be able to get out of the hole if he eats all that candy he snatched. I let him have at it, never caused me any grief.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's back. Dont know how it got in. I'm back to setting the trap the conventional way and let it come and go as it pleases. Until I catch it, and plug the way it got in, the problem wont be solved. Why me.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Get yourself a Jack Russel Terrier. Our JR is critter killing machine and only 8 pounds.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67falconer on 10/24/06 8:48am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So far to date the only one that this trap has caused any inconvenience to is myself and a friend from my church. He was helping me load some wood into the garage and almost KILLED himself tripping all over the trap. He let his legs collapse out from underneath him, didnt hit the Galaxie, didnt damage the trap, and didnt drop the wood. I felt bad at the time, but have been giggling about off and on all night.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts