Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 64 comet with the Rod and Custom mustang 2 front end kit. We are installing a 408w in it and would like to know what headers actually fit with out modification. Has any one actually gotten long tube headers to fit and what was the part # or application?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If it is the Rod & Custom Motorports actual Brand, front 11 suspension, just call Willie at R&D office & ask him.
His buddies Red 64 runs long tubes, i;m sure he will know just from customer feedback

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked with willie last year when I started the install. He had a couple of part # that should fit. I will call him again now that the engine is installed. I am looking for people that have actually done this install and what headers did you use. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
talked to willie at R&C They are now using Stan at Ford powertrain Applications for there headers 253-848-9503. I talked with Stan and he has a header built for the drivers side that we can fit to the car. He is only about 10 miles from my house. I will update this as I go. There is very limited info on this conversion so I hope this helps others.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Thats great info, not the first time Stan's name has been mentioned & their headers are getting a good rap as great fits for Mustang 11 installs & for coil over conversions too
do keep us in the loop

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stan's Driver side header will work if you move the side brace on the engine mount forward 1/2". R&C welds this brace in the center of the engine mount. i talked with willie at R&C and that was his thoughts on it as well. So that is an easy fix. I picked up stan's Passenger header today and it will not fit. They are made for the early mustangs. 65/66 mustangs frame rails are 1 1/2" wider than the comet/falcon. Still looking for some input from others on this. I am trying to stay away from having a custom header made at $100.00 an hour. I will keep this updated as I go. Mike

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to try some headers I already had. I tried the 6208 Supercomps and they do not fit at all (they hit the firewall). I have some 6116 Supercomps that I tried and they fit surprisingly well. You need to relocate tube #3 on the driver's side to clear the steering linkage and very slightly notch the frame in the upper inside corner for the #3 tube on the passanger side. Other than that they should bolt right in. Included pics of them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I have a 65 Ranchero with a 408 (Edelbrock V Jr. heads) and RC MII front end, the ports are 1.4" square, do you know if the Supercomps match this or are close? I had some headers made but were made with standard heads and the port angle and port size were different so the collectors do not clear the block. Thanks for any information, might have to try your solution since this seems to be the best one I have heard of. Dave

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hooker super comp 6116 ports measure 1 9/16" tall and 1 3/16" wide. Keep in mind these are 1 5/8" tubing. Did you have some mid length headers made? What was the cost and would they have fit if you did not have raised exhaust ports? I will be trying another set of Hooker super comp long tube headers in about 2 weeks and will update this as I go, they are for a fox body with the 351w conversion. keep me informed as to what you do. There is so little info on this. Hopefully some more people will post what info they have. Also if you can get a hold of set of fox body 351w shorties they might be worth a shot at fitting.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
The hooker super comp 6116 ports measure 1 9/16" tall and 1 3/16" wide. Keep in mind these are 1 5/8" tubing. Did you have some mid length headers made? What was the cost and would they have fit if you did not have raised exhaust ports? I will be trying another set of Hooker super comp long tube headers in about 2 weeks and will update this as I go, they are for a fox body with the 351w conversion. keep me informed as to what you do. There is so little info on this. Hopefully some more people will post what info they have. Also if you can get a hold of set of fox body 351w shorties they might be worth a shot at fitting.
I am pretty sure that I cannot use the ones I have but for regular heads they should work fine since that is what my builder used to mock them up. They are ceramic coated too. I can send photos and details if you are interested.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a solution to the long tube header problem on the Comet/Falcon MII 351w conversion. I will update this if someone can use the info. Only one person was interested in it. I thought there would have been more people doing this type of work. Let me know and I will update it with pics as I finish the install. Thanks, Mike

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Mike, I am very interested, keep the info and progress coming. Would be great to find something that fits my Edelbrock Vic Jr ports too.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I have a solution to the long tube header problem on the Comet/Falcon MII 351w conversion. I will update this if someone can use the info. Only one person was interested in it. I thought there would have been more people doing this type of work. Let me know and I will update it with pics as I finish the install. Thanks, Mike
OK what ya got.... whats the big secret..

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I went and bought a used set of Hooker Super comp #6223 Fox body 351w conversion headers and they would not fit. I sold those and purchased a new set of BBK #1569 351w conversion headers fox body and the drivers side fit perfect and clears the steering shaft. The passenger side bolted in place but the #2 tube hits the frame rail. I needed another 1/8" to clear. I am going to use these headers as I cannot think of anything else that would fit better. I will cut out a small section of the frame rail about a 1/4" deep and 2" long and weld in a section of round tube 2" i.d. and 1/8" thick to give clearance for the header tube. This header will fit perfect in a 65/66 mustang as the frame rails are 1 1/2" wider and may clear on some falcon/comets as is. One could also modify the engine mounts to shift the engine over 1/8" to give header clearance. I will post some more pics when I get the frame rail modified in the next couple of weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
So I went and bought a used set of Hooker Super comp #6223 Fox body 351w conversion headers and they would not fit. I sold those and purchased a new set of BBK #1569 351w conversion headers fox body and the drivers side fit perfect and clears the steering shaft. The passenger side bolted in place but the #2 tube hits the frame rail. I needed another 1/8" to clear. I am going to use these headers as I cannot think of anything else that would fit better. I will cut out a small section of the frame rail about a 1/4" deep and 2" long and weld in a section of round tube 2" i.d. and 1/8" thick to give clearance for the header tube. This header will fit perfect in a 65/66 mustang as the frame rails are 1 1/2" wider and may clear on some falcon/comets as is. One could also modify the engine mounts to shift the engine over 1/8" to give header clearance. I will post some more pics when I get the frame rail modified in the next couple of weeks.
"CMEFLY" used to be a personalized plate on an early Cougar seen around the valley...... If this is the same Mike, it's good to see you are still playing with cars.
I've attached a picture of some junk I owned back in the Tiny's Tire era.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"CMEFLY" used to be a personalized plate on an early Cougar seen around the valley...... If this is the same Mike, it's good to see you are still playing with cars.
I've attached a picture of some junk I owned back in the Tiny's Tire era.
That's me, did you work with me at tiny's? i still have the plates they are now on a 2001 Cobra.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts