Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I will be doing a freshen up on my engine soon, And as i plan on fitting a new cam, i would be interested to hear other peoples experiences they have had with camshafts in 427's

i would also like to know if there is anyone that can tell me what the original specifications were on the Original 63.5 R code cam, Duration, Lift etc

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Thanks, larry

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
63.5's R codes had two different cams depending what month they were built. You might want to go over to the FE forum and ask this question. Also they will tell you that there are better cams with mordern tech that work better than the orginal cams.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks EXracer4speed and BH107

Holman and Moody do still do the original grinds

As the method of measuring cam timings has changed since the old days, now taken at .050" instead of .001" the duration numbers have changed, I'm only guessing that the old duration of 306 is now 228 and the 324 is now 242 BUT i'm not sure, There are lot of conflicting duration degree figures and any help in figuring this out is much appreciated

Thanks Again, larry

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks EXracer4 speed,

I emailed Holman and Moody on a previous occassion and was amazed when my email was responded to personally by Lee Holman, he was very friendly and extremely helpful

I was assuming all the valve train to be correct, as the car is, as far as i can find, is an Original, numbers matching R code car, That's not to say i wouldn't replace any parts that are incorrect or just plain worn out

I appreciate your response, and your help Regards, larry

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thanks EXracer4speed and BH107

Holman and Moody do still do the original grinds

As the method of measuring cam timings has changed since the old days, now taken at .050" instead of .001" the duration numbers have changed, I'm only guessing that the old duration of 306 is now 228 and the 324 is now 242 BUT i'm not sure, There are lot of conflicting duration degree figures and any help in figuring this out is much appreciated

Thanks Again, larry

After checking the spec page that was linked, I didnt see a cam listed that is split duration. The chart lists adv and .050 specs.

The HM# L1P1 "Daytona" cam shows .306/.306 adv /.256/.256 @.050 Lobe lift .350/.350 Valve Lift .616/.616 (1.76 rocker) and a split duration of 104in/112ex.

That is the largest cam they have listed, altho they do custom grinds or can regrind yours with a usable core.....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I may have confused the issue, the 2 durations i mentioned are for 2 different cams, one cam is .306 / 306, the other cam is 324 / 324. i have seen both these sets of figures pop up many times. i'm fairly certain Holman and Moody quote the old adv 306/306 now as 228, and the higher performance old adv 324/324 now as 242 both with a lift of .526, ( I THINK ). Sorry if i confused the issue

Hey Dan, Thanks for putting that post with the photos into the thread for me

EXracer4speed, Thanks for your interest, If you go through to the start of the thread Dan posted, you will see one of the photos was taken out the front of the Barn/Shed, in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I may have confused the issue, the 2 durations i mentioned are for 2 different cams, one cam is .306 / 306, the other cam is 324 / 324. i have seen both these sets of figures pop up many times. i'm fairly certain Holman and Moody quote the old adv 306/306 now as 228, and the higher performance old adv 324/324 now as 242 both with a lift of .526, ( I THINK ). Sorry if i confused the issue

Not a problem, and yes I misunderstood what you were trying to say, BUT I do see the .526 lift cam you mention, the two top ones that does carry Ford #'s. One listing 275/275 adv the other is 290/290, listed as "HM406" side oiler the other as "B" grind HiPerf respectively. It probably really doesnt matter all that much which you would chose if going back "stock" But maybe Larry H can tell you which is which and what for... :confused:;)

Always thought bigger was better anyways....;):D

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not a problem, and yes I misunderstood what you were trying to say, BUT I do see the .526 lift cam you mention, the two top ones that does carry Ford #'s. One listing 275/275 adv the other is 290/290, listed as "HM406" side oiler the other as "B" grind HiPerf respectively. It probably really doesnt matter all that much which you would chose if going back "stock" But maybe Larry H can tell you which is which and what for... :confused:;)

Always thought bigger was better anyways....;):D
The "B" cam was an over the counter high performance replacement cam from Ford, and was very popular back in the day. Lots of guys still swear by it if they are going with period correct parts. Sure the vintage cam grinds do give up some compared to new modern grinds, but they still work great and personally I enjoy using parts from the era the car came from.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Cool, BH thats an interesting factoid. I believe if I were doing his 'freshen-up' I would use the "B" grind, for various reasons, nostalgia being one of them, sure the new cams from various companies now are probably "better" there is no reason to think of the old technology being 'bad'... With after market rockers avail, new materials for springs I doubt there would be much difference cam-to-cam. Havent even looked to see what Comp/Crane/Isky etc offers as a comparable cam. Besides MOST new cams DO NOT have the sound of the old unless you use the Thump'r series of cams offered by Comp for the "old school sound"....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to both of you, BH 107 and Mroldfart2U

you are both right with what i want to do, i DO want to go with period correct parts, and although i don't know exactly what the " B " grind is, from what you have both said, IT sounds like it may be what i'm after, still fairly stock and original option, but a bit lumpier,

By the way Mro,f 2U who is Larry H ???

Thanks for your help, larry

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
By the way Mro,f 2U who is Larry H ???

Thanks for your help, larry
Lord only knows, :confused:;) I have a bad case of anheisers and imagining things I THOUGHT i'd seen....

Back to the project at hand tho, I think it would be cool to run the valve covers and air cleaner, talk about that old school/hot rod heritage look...:D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If your talking about the original Ford 2 X 4 air cleaner and the original chrome 427 T rocker covers, They're whats on it, Except for the wheels, ( which i have ) and the waterpump, everything on the car is original numbers matching. And i can change the wheels back at anytime,

There are some photos of the engine on the Forum somewhere

Thanks, larry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.