Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The aluminum front cover on my 64-1/2 Mustang 260, is worn from corrosion. I have obtained a good replacement, but it does not have an oil filler tube in it. Is it possible to remove the tube from the original cover and install it in the replacement cover? If so, how does it come out, and what maintains the seal when reinstalled?
Thanks!
Phil

·
Registered
465 Posts
The aluminum front cover on my 64-1/2 Mustang 260, is worn from corrosion. I have obtained a good replacement, but it does not have an oil filler tube in it. Is it possible to remove the tube from the original cover and install it in the replacement cover? If so, how does it come out, and what maintains the seal when reinstalled?
Thanks!
Phil
If you have an identical 260 timing cover the tube can be pulled out and pressed into the replacement. Use a little sealer on it when you press it in if you like. doesn't really need the sealer if it is a tight fit.
R

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Are you talking about the dipstick or the actual Oil fill tube, like one on my old 62 -260? The dipstick can be done quite easily, but, the oil fill tube is quite large & without looking at the cover, I doubt there's room/poistion to drill a hole big enough for the old style oil fill tube?
I meant to add, if it is the actual oil fill tube your trying to move, you could just go to a fitting,twist on cap from many year sm.blocks, on one valve cover to put oil in her.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
63 had oil filler tube, there is a HOLE in the block that carry's the oil from the tube into the block, you can block it off with a 3/4" freeze plug if using the newer 64-65 timing cover.....ask me how I know...Just used a 63 289 Block in a project, didn't leak until I drove it.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.